How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
New media technologies were a key part in the construction, research and planning stages in all three of our media products. Over the last ten years new media technologies have transformed a great deal which has made creating all three of our pieces of work easy compared to what it would have been like before
Trailer When looking at influences for our trailer we automatically assumed that things like YouTube and Google would have what we were looking for. This made the process of researching and planning simple and easy. It also meant that the trailers or images that we did find online could be put straight into our blogs to look at when we needed to. This option has not been around long as the first YouTube video was only published in 2005, meaning that if we had been set this task before then it would have been difficult for us to find what we had been looking for.
Trailer We were then able to upload other things to our blogs such as our storyboard and film schedule as well as pictures that we had drawn up. We did this using a scanner. This meant that there was always a copy of our work stored away to save us the worry of losing sheets of paper that we had drawn on. As well as saving the environment as it meant that we did not have to photocopy the paper to ensure that each of us had a copy of the work.
Trailer The most important use of the new media technologies was in our production stage when we had to use digital video cameras and digital slr cameras. Using these things enabled us to watch our footage back before uploading on another occasion to check whether we had shot what we wanted and to help us decided whether we may have needed to shoot the footage again. If we did not have this option we could have wasted a lot of time uploading what we had captured onto a computer to find that we did it wrong which would mean we had to go through the whole process again.
Trailer Another big change in media technologies is the ability to edit your footage that you have shot. You can do this using programmes such as iMovie and Final Cut. Using software like this we were able to cut, copy, slow down and speed up clips as well as add titles that we may have wanted. This aids amateur students such as ourselves to make their products look more professional.
Trailer We have also been able to create a soundtrack to our teaser trailer where we could compose a song using different kinds of instruments usually GarageBand, using melodies and beats that we found on the programme. This meant that we did not have to go through the hassle of composing our own tune from scratch and then playing it through a keyboard for example and record it. It has also meant that the sound quality was good.
Trailer Something that has grown a huge amount over the years is the internet. We were able to research everything we needed to through it as well as find and download a font that we wanted to use for our trailer to help it be unique. There are millions of websites on the internet that enabled us to search for the right type face and then download it in the right format that is compatible with a Mac computer. All of this was free.
Trailer Lastly to help us with our evaluation to post on our blog we have been able to use many different programmes such as PowerPoint, iMovie and Word. But we have also been online using websites such as Blogger, Prezi and Xtranormal. All of these things are new to the internet and have aided us greatly with ensuring that we include many different new media technologies within our work. We have also posted our products on Facebook where we have asked our friends to leave comments about it to help us understand what is good about them and what is not so good and how we could improve our work.
Poster Again just like for our teaser trailer, the internet was a great help as it enabled us to look at our influences for our poster and film and post the images that we found on our blogs for future reference. After deciding on an image that we were happy with once we had looked at many different influences we were then able to use a digital slr camera to capture images of our character and upload them onto the Mac. We then had the ability to edit the picture that we chose with Photoshop on the computer as well as add titles and retouch the image so that it was exactly how we wanted it to look.
Magazine Front Cover Again the internet played a big part in putting together this piece of work. We mainly used Google images to research our influences such as Odeon Magazine and Empire Magazine. At times it was difficult to find enough information on the magazines that we were researching but still it is more developed now than it was 10 years ago and I’m sure things will develop more and more as time goes on.
Magazine Front Cover We were able to then post the image of our magazine cover onto Facebook to enable us to gain feedback from our friends to help us with our evaluation questions.