For my last travelogue
I wanted to analyze and to inquire on
how the role of museum has changed
What is a museum in 2010?
What is the role of museums?
– Giving access to Art
– Providing Education
– Integrate Art in people’s everyday life
But Young audience is declining!
Museums are challenged in their SOCIAL mission
Their FUTURE is threatened
But there has to be a way to
to young people!
Quick recap of my investigation
• I followed 2010 the Withney Museum’s Biennial on
• Desappointing live experience but generated really
• I decided to meet and interview Nina who had been
selected for the Tour
I did not expected that!
– An artist
– In her mid forties
– Interested in images
– Not into socializing at all
– But into the technological aspect of Internet
– She participated to take pictures to create content
and to share it afterwards
Her insight on Social Networks
• People are excited by new media
• Museums want to be part of it
• They are overwhelmed
• Part of it is awkward because it is about
The Whitney Museum Strategy
• Like every institution they need to be online
• To be efficient: create a buzz
• Figure out what attracts people
• The twitter tour was an attempt to discover
• forget focusing on the quality, focus on
reaching your targeted audience!
• Raising awareness on their on line presence
• Giving a sense of the community they are
• Becoming part of people’s everyday life (apart
from the physical museum)
A Museum in 2010
• A place but also a community
• Among which you can find yourself alive in the
• The opportunity to have fun
• Definitely worth it to take part to on daily