1. Social Media & Internet Use in Ghana
• By Mac-Jordan D. Degadjor
2. A Little bit about me..
• Mac-Jordan D. Degadjor
• Blogger & Digital Web Activist & a
• Regional Editor – Africa on
• Contributing Author – Global Voices
• Proud member of the
community of extraordinary young
achievers between 20 and 30.
• Member of the prestigious Ghana
• Two blogs & several articles on Social
Media, ICT4D, Local Content
Development & Mobile Technology
5. Why is Social Media “Social”?
• Its platform provides opportunities for people to share opinions,
insights, experiences and perspectives in a two-way
• Apart from exchange of ideas and skills, it also allows
instantaneous and spontaneous response and reactions from
the users. The social interaction is Real, Live, Un-interrupted and
• Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
(source: Huffington Post)
• Social Media isn't a fad, it's a fundamental shift in the way we
communicate these days.
6. 5 BIGGEST SOCIAL MEDIA Excuses, Myths, Fears
• 1. "Social Media is a Waste of time“
•2. "No Return on Investment“
•3. "I don't have any Technical Experience“
•4. "I tried it and it didn't work“
•5. "Social Media is hard work"
7. % of Millennials have joined a social network
* (Source: Grunwald Associates National Study- Trendsspotting Blog)
8. Social Media Tools.
• User-created text, audio, video and multimedia that are
shared in a social environment. The tools use software that
permits individuals and groups to create and exchange
contents while engaging in peer-to-peer conversations.
9. If Facebook were a
country, it would
be a the world's
• 1. China
• 2. India
• 3. Facebook
• 4. United States
• 5. Indonesia
• 6. Brazil
• 7. Pakistan
• 8. Bangladesh
• 9. Nigeria
10. • More than 500 million active users
• 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any
given day via Mobile/PC
• Average user has 130 friends
• People spend over 700 billion minutes per month
• There are more than 200 million active users
currently accessing Facebook through their
11. • According to CheckFacebook: The number of people in
Ghana (including Expats, legal & illegal migrants) on
Facebook is approximately 700,000 active users.
• Whiles the number of active users in Nigeria is about
• FACT: People living in Ghana spends a lot of time on
the Social Media Platform (Facebook) than those in
•Total Number of Online Population on Facebook from
Ghana is 79.14% whiles Nigeria with its huge active
users have only 21.02% online.
•According to InternetWorldStats; Ghana’s internet
penetration is at 5.3% with 1,297,000 internet users as
of June, 2010. This is a big improvement of last year’s
stats of 4.2% with 997,000 of internet users as of
•What is the causing the difference in the HUGE
12. Twitter -
• About 375,000 NEW users are signing up every
• 160 million registered users around the world.
• Over 90 million Tweets (updates) per day.
• Twitter = the easiest network to grow a large
• Engage + Interact + Share = earn trust
13. • It has also created a unique entrepreneur. Every
user has the ability to be a producer and consumer
of information through the platforms.
• The dual roles of the target audience have
compelled traditional communication practices to
adopt and apply the new technology found in New
• The magazines, newspapers, television, corporate
organizations and radio stations are all joining the
bandwagon in ensuring that they don’t lose their
audiences who have embraced the phenomena.
14. • In Ghana, some media houses & personalities are
also using Social Media to broadcast their news
items apart from the normal radio broadcasting.
• Other individuals are also using Social Media to
push their interests on social/political issues to
15. Cultural Concepts of Social Media
• Social media has eliminated cultural and
sociological barriers and pulled down
boundaries that separate nations and
communities from instant communication.
• People from diverse backgrounds closely
and socially interact in the platforms
without an intermediary’s interruption
• 78% of Social Media folks in Ghana trust
peer recommendation whiles only 14%
16. My Ghanaian Tech buddies; Ato Kwamena-Appiah & TED Fellow; Henry Addo
with Masai folks in Nairobi, Kenya during Maker Faire Africa.
17. Traditional Media Agencies in Ghana
• GBC ( Nationwide)
• Joy 99.7 FM
• Peace 104.3 FM
• Radio Universe 105.7
• Yfm 107.9 FM
• Volta Premier (Ho)
• Melody 91.1 FM (Takoradi)
•Skyy Power 93.5 FM (Takoradi)
•Radio Justice (Tamale)
• Citi 97.3 FM