Glamis powerpoint

927 views

Published on

Social studies project - Aberdeen University - PGDE (Primary)

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
927
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
7
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Glamis powerpoint

  1. 1. Welcome to<br />
  2. 2. <ul><li>Glamis is a small preserved conservation village situated in Angus, Scotland
  3. 3. It is located 4 miles South of Kirriemuir; 5 miles South West of Forfar and 12 miles from Dundee</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Glamis lies in Strathmore estates, a beautiful rolling landscape
  4. 4. It has been home to the Strathmore family since 1372</li></li></ul><li>Glamis Population: <br />1780’s: 2040<br />1836: 2050<br />1910:1159<br />1993: 790 <br />
  5. 5. <ul><li>Glamis Castle & Glamis Village are the focus of a traditional rural estate which today supports and encourages the development of a thriving rural community
  6. 6. The estate has developed over many centuries and today comprises a wide variety of properties, businesses and leisure activities</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Evidence of man’s habitation around Glamis can be traced back to the Picts
  7. 7. The carved standing stone in the manse garden, dating from the 9th-10th century is an excellent example of their work
  8. 8. Later Glamis became a centre of conversion of Picts to Christianity </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>St Fergus, Patron Saint of Glamis, travelled across from Ireland in the early 8th century
  9. 9. He employed himself the task of converting the ‘barbarous people’ to Christianity
  10. 10. He choose Glamis as his place of rest and is said to have lived in a cave on the banks of the Glamis burn </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>St Fergus Well on the banks of the Glamis Burn was used by the parish to baptise the earliest converts to Christianity in Strathmore
  11. 11. The well still exists to this day and is named after him</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>It wasn't until the early 14th century that Glamis once again began playing a significant role in Scottish history
  12. 12. After the capture and destruction of the Castle of Forfar by Robert the Bruce, it was never rebuilt
  13. 13. Thus when the King was visiting the area he resided in the royal hunting lodge at Glamis</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Much of Glamis village was built by the Earl of Strathmore around 1760 and the policy with all dwellings is to maintain the character of these buildings whilst providing modern accommodation for those living in the rural community
  14. 14. 1793 saw the building of the cottages in Kirkwynd which housed the weavers who worked in their own homes producing hand woven linen </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The houses are now occupied by the Angus Folk Museum
  15. 15. This is a major attraction and is run by The National Trust for Scotland
  16. 16. The museum vividly illustrates the former way of life of the Angus villagers </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>In about 1745, the thatched cottage was built, which is known as the White Hall
  17. 17. With other dwellings in the Main Street being built by 1765 </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>There is now a mixed portfolio of commercial, residential and agricultural lettings on the estate and in Glamis village
  18. 18. There is a large number of residential properties
  19. 19. New housing areas are being developed in the village with numerous plots of land for sale </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The village took on much of its present form in the latter half of the eighteenth century
  20. 20. Expansion of the village continued throughout this period and into the first half of the nineteenth century</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>In 1965 the Royal Bank of Scotland opened in Glamis Village
  21. 21. There was a bakers and bake house
  22. 22. The bakers shop was once owned by Margaret Bridie, the original maker of the Forfar Bridie</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The village also housed a small hall (Masonic Hall) and a local jail
  23. 23. There was also a Hotel and a Post Office in Glamis village</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The Butchers shop, which was open 3 days a week, was owned by Coutts Brothers of Forfar
  24. 24. Next to the Butchers was an ironmongers
  25. 25. Further to the south of the village there was a local doctors house and surgery</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Unfortunately Glamis Village no longer hosts a Bank, Bakers, Butchers or Ironmongers due to reduced demand as a result of private transport
  26. 26. However there is still a range of commercial properties including:
  27. 27. The Strathmore Arms Public House and Restaurant
  28. 28. The Glamis Corner shop/Post office</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Glamis village also hosts:
  29. 29. Workshops and garages
  30. 30. Sand and gravel quarry
  31. 31. Architects
  32. 32. Masonic Hall</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The War Years:
  33. 33. Glamis was not without its pain, effort and excitement during both the world wars
  34. 34. The village war memorial records the names of 31 local men who fell in the Great War
  35. 35. In 1919 the school pupils raised £200 for the War Saving Association for the benefits of the injured and bereaved</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The school was not taken over for military purposes and pupils continued to attend but the soup kitchen was shared with Polish troops
  36. 36. Additionally the school roll was expanded for most of the war by some 26 evacuees from the Dundee area </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The Railway at Glamis:
  37. 37. Provided the parish and village with a link to the rest of Angus and Scotland
  38. 38. In 1838 the Newtyle and Glamis line was opened for passenger traffic
  39. 39. The railway line was closed in 1956 </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The local station played a large part in the area
  40. 40. All coal arrived by rail, potatoes were shipped to the south and livestock came and went in profusion
  41. 41. Passenger trains ran regularly to Forfar, Arbroath, Montrose, Aberdeen and Perth
  42. 42. In the summer months excursions ran to Glasgow </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Now there is only a bus service covering the Glamis area
  43. 43. Buses run from Glamis to Forfar, Kirriemuir and Dundee
  44. 44. Buses run every 60 minutes </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>David, Bishop of St Andrews, dedicated a church to St Fergus on the site of the present church in 1242
  45. 45. In the 15th century Isabella Ogilvy, wife of the first Lord Glamis, built the Strathmore Aisle which adjoins the church</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>It was used as the Strathmore family burial vault until the death of the 12th Earl in 1865
  46. 46. The earliest tombs in the graveyard date from 1630 and they include those of masons, weavers, farmers, brewers, bakers, metal workers and many other trades </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The remainder of the church was taken down in 1790 to make way for the present church
  47. 47. The Church plays a central role in Glamis</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>In 1695, improvements were made to the pre-reformation church and it was fitted out with fixed pews
  48. 48. The pre-Reformation church at Glamis was mostly demolished in 1792 as it was very old and in bad condition</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Schooling in the 1780’s:
  49. 49. The school was described as flourishing with around 50 scholars
  50. 50. A school teacher received a salary and perquisites of about £50 a year </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The expansion of education in the village outgrew the school and in 1839, the Trustees of the Earl of Strathmore generously endowed the construction of a new building, which remains the current school </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The average roll over the period 1875-1974 was 80 to 100 pupils
  51. 51. This had fallen to 30 in 1962 but had risen again to 85 in 1974
  52. 52. School roll today is about 70 pupils </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Conflicting interests of rural life often imposed on education
  53. 53. The majority of the governors were farmers who perhaps ignored absenteeism in the interest of planting and harvesting
  54. 54. Attendance wasseen to drop at the times of potato and grain planting and harvesting </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>In 1899 the Earl and Countess of Strathmore gifted a soup kitchen to the school which operated in winter months until 1943 when the school meals service commenced
  55. 55. In 1946 saw the school milk service initiated
  56. 56. Despite all of this however, employment opportunity for children leaving school was often limited </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Strathmore estate was almost self contained in the late eighteenth century with much industrial activity taking place
  57. 57. The people of the parish were involved in ‘quarrying of grey slate, free stone, dyking stone, mill stone and stones for over soles’
  58. 58. Assorted tile and brick making, lime burning, charcoal manufacture and timber works all existed in the parish
  59. 59. Lead and silver mining also took part in the parish. The lead mine was worked quite extensively in the 1770’s but the silver mining was not carried on </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The linen industry also occupied a very prominent position in the village
  60. 60. This activity was concentrated along the Glamis Burn to the south east of the village in the area now know as ‘The Mill’
  61. 61. The site of the main flax mill of 1806 is now beneath the main Forfar to Perth road but to the north of this survives much of the remains of the former industry</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Girls normally became domestic servants where work was hard and hours were long
  62. 62. A normal working day stretched for 15 hours and included tasks such as cleaning the kitchen, lighting fires, milking cows, feeding bothy men and churning milk for butter and cheese
  63. 63. The girls would normally remain in these jobs until married – probably to a ploughman or the luckier ones to a farmers son </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Boys usually found work on farms or as ploughmen earning £6-10 per year
  64. 64. Eventually, progress to foreman gave them about £30 per year and finally possibly Greive (farm manager) at about £35 per year
  65. 65. The farm bothy system seems to have originated in Strathmore as early as around 1770</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>By mid 1800’s there were virtually no lowland farm in Angus and the Mearnswithout a bothy where mostly unmarried farm workers lived under one roof
  66. 66. Life was spartan with long working days and poor foods
  67. 67. A married man who worked as a ploughman or cattleman would be provided with a cottage near the main farm
  68. 68. His wife and children would be expected to work on the farm during busy times such as harvest and potato lifting </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The coming of the Twentieth Century:
  69. 69. The weekly market was poorly supported and eventually ceased, the quarries were worked out and began to close and the flax operation was moved to Dundee
  70. 70. In 1894, the estate extended to 22,000 acres in total, with 15,000 acres arable land, 5600 pasture and 2000 acres of woodland
  71. 71. The estate contained 152 farms </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Within the Strathmore valley farming is still the main form of industry
  72. 72. The estate now employs a Farms Director who supervises seven farms totalling 4500 acres</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>There are pigs, sheep, chickens and hens, commercial cattle and highland cattle</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The arable operation grow wheat, barley, oilseed rape and vegetables including cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and potatoes
  73. 73. Once again, although the most modern tractors and machinery are used great care is taken to enhance and conserve the wildlife habitats and field margins </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The estate is fortunate to have a large tourism operation centred around the Castle which brings in many tens of thousands of visitors each year
  74. 74. From earliest known records Glamis belonged to the Scottish crown</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>In 1372 Glamis Castle and lands were granted to John Lyon by King Robert II, for the peppercorn rent of a red falcon to be delivered each day
  75. 75. At this time the castle was most likely a wooden building used primarily as a hunting lodge which would have been heavily wooded with much deer, bear, pig and other game </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The pink sandstone L-shaped tower block was remodelled in the 17th century and the building you see today is very much that magnificent creation, although like all great buildings it continues to grow and evolve </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The castle is perhaps best known as the childhood home of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
  76. 76. The Queen Mother was born Elizabeth Bowes Lyon
  77. 77. Elizabeth's parents were Lord and Lady Glamis</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Her father, Claude was heir to the ancient Scottish Earldom of Strathmore and Kinghorne
  78. 78. When Elizabeth was four her grandfather, the 13th Earl died and her father inherited the Earldom, and with it, Glamis Castle
  79. 79. Elizabeth was now ‘Lady Elizabeth’ and the family thereafter divided their time between Glamis, St Paul’s Walden Bury and Streatlam Castle</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>HRH Princess Margaret:
  80. 80. On August 21st 1930, Princess Margaret Rose was born at Glamis Castle
  81. 81. The first Royal baby to be born in Scotland in over three centuries
  82. 82. Local people built a huge bonfire on the hill above to celebrate</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The Haunted Glamis:
  83. 83. It is said that Glamis is the most haunted castle in Scotland
  84. 84. There are many myths and legends attached to Glamis</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The ghost of the little pageboy:
  85. 85. Sits on the stone seat just inside the Queen Mother’s Sitting room
  86. 86. He was renowned for mischief and was often told to sit there for punishment
  87. 87. On the coldest night of the winter the boy was forgotten and not dismissed from the seat
  88. 88. Sadly, during the night he died
  89. 89. The ghost today has a habit of sticking his foot out to trip the unwary as they enter the room </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>The secret chamber of Glamis:
  90. 90. Lord Glamis and the Earl of Crawford were begged to stop playing cards as the clock struck midnight on a Saturday evening
  91. 91. They disobeyed the request and the Devil appeared and their doomsday had come
  92. 92. Some say that on a Saturday evening you can still hear the two lords playing cards</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>There is evidence of planting and landscaping at Glamis stretching back some five centuries
  93. 93. At one time the castle was surrounded by extensive walled gardens, created by the 3rd earl in the 17th century</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Much of the planting which provides the setting for the Castle today, including many fine conifers were planted by the 13th Earl after 1865
  94. 94. The gardens at Glamis castle include: The Forecourt and Dutch Garden; The Avenue; The Italian Garden and Nature Trail and The Pinetum and Walled Garden </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Glamis Castle is now the home of the Earl of Strathmore and his family
  95. 95. It is a five star tourist attraction
  96. 96. It hosts:
  97. 97. Shops: selling a wide range of local gifts, souvenirs, books, antiques, paintings by local artists, knitwear, plants, clothing and Scottish produce
  98. 98. Plus a restaurant situated in the magnificent old Castle Kitchens with the 19th century ovens, stoves and pans carefully restored </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Glamis Castle is suitable for private receptions, lunch parties, grand dinners, cocktail parties and wedding receptions
  99. 99. The park is also suitable for many outdoor events such as craft fairs, archery, clay pigeon shooting, activity days and musical evenings </li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Glamis is a living, breathing monument of Scottish hospitality; a place of enjoyment, contemplation, laughter and wonder for all
  100. 100. Glamis embraces all who visit and leaves most with a sense of history continuing and the future unfolding </li></li></ul><li>I hope you have enjoyed your tour of Glamis<br />Please visit again soon!<br />

×