2. ELLIPSE - Set of all points such that the sum of the distances from two fixed points, called the foci, is constant.
3. PARTSCenterVerticesFoci – the two fixed pointsMajor Axis - longer chord passing through either of the foci and parallel the major axisMinor Axis – shorter chord perpendicular to the major axis passing through the center
4. Latera Recta - Plural form of latus rectum - chords passing through the foci perpendicular to the centerDirectrix - fixed lines outside the ellipse parallel to the minor axis
5. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PARTSCenter to Vertex – aCenter to Minor Axis – bCenter to Focus – cDiagonal Distance of ac2 = a2 - b2Major Axis – 2aMinor Axis – 2b
6. STANDARD FORM Major Axes C(0,0) C(h,k) GraphHorizontal Major Axis Vertical Major Axis