4. Seven Layer Taco Dip • 1 - 2 avocados • lemon juice • mayonnaiseServe this dip with tortilla chips for dipping. Serves a • 2 - 3 T. sour creamcrowd. • pkg. taco seasoningMash peeled and seeded avocados with lemon juice and • 4 oz cheddar cheesemayonnaise to taste. Add 2 - 3 tablespoons sour cream, • 4 oz. monterey jackplus 2 - 3 T. mayonnaise and mix with the packaged taco cheeseseasoning to taste. Grate the cheddar and monterey jack • 1/2 small cancheeses and chop and drain tomatoes and green onions,with tops. Layer the ingredients on a platter in the order chopped ripe olivesgiven at right. • 2 tomatoes • 3 - 4 green onions
5. Clams Oreganato • 2 6-oz. cans of minced or chopped clamsThis is a hard recipe to ruin — you can vary the proportions • 2 medium onionsof ingredients and it still tastes good. • 5 cloves minced garlicHeat the oil and butter together over medium heat and • 2 medium shallotssaute the onions, garlic, and shallots until soft and trans- • 1/4 c. fresh parsleylucent. Add the parsley and spices for the last few minutesof cooking. Turn off the heat and stir in the clams, bread- • 1 c. bread crumbscrumbs, and most of the cheese. Use the reserved clam • 1/2 c. grated cheesejuice as needed to moisten the mixture. Stir in garlic (a combination ofpowder, salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture Parmesan, Romano,in a buttered, shallow, glass or porcelain baking dish, and Gruyere is best)sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, bake at 325° for • 1 - 2 T. dried35 – 40 minutes. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. oregano • 2 T. olive oilA yummy hot hors d’ouevre for 8 – 12 when spread on • 1 T. butterplain crackers. Bake in individual clam or scallop dishesand serve as a first course. • 1 t. garlic powder • salt & pepper to taste
6. M D Chili Rellano Amish Pot Roast Chicken Alfredo Baked Pork Chops Beef and Rice Casserole Filo Chicken Packets Moussaka Honey Glazed ChickenNo-Peek Chicken and Rice
7. Chili Rellano • 3 7-oz. cans whole green chilies, drainedMake batter of flour, eggs, milk and salt. Pour half of • 3/4 lb. each of jackbatter in bottom of 9 x 12-inch casserole dish. Layer and mild cheddarchillies on batter. Shred cheeses and sprinkle over chil-ies. Pour rest of batter over cheese. cheeses • 12 oz. evaporatedBake at 325° for 45 minutes. Pour salsa with Tabasco milkover casserole. Bake 15 minutes longer. Best served hot, • 3 T. flourbut let sit a few minutes before serving so casseroledoesn’t run. • salt • 4 eggs • Tabasco Sauce • 10-oz. can green chili salsa
8. Amish Pot Roast • 3 lbs. pot roast, trimmed of fat • 1 T. vegetable oilPreheat oven to 300º. • 1/4 c. soy sauce • 1 c. coffeeHeat oil in large skillet over high heat, then sear meaton both sides. In a large roasting pan, combine one • 2 bay leavesonion and remaining ingredients. Transfer browned • 1 clove garlic,meat to roasting pan and top with second onion. minced • 1/2 t. oreganoCover and bake 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Baste every hour withjuices. If liquid begins to boil away, add more coffee or • 2 onions slicedsoy sauce as needed. Use pan juices to make gravy. Use • additional coffee &NO salt. soy sauce as needed
9. Chicken Alfredo • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts • 2 eggsBeat eggs with milk. Add 1/2 cup grated cheese and • 1 T. milkparsley. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and roll • 1/2 cup gratedin bread crumbs. Lightly brown in a skillet with abit of olive oil. Remove to a baking dish. parmesan or romano cheeseOver medium heat, melt butter. Add cream and milk, • 1 T. parsleystirring constantly. Add cheese and parsley until it is a • bread crumbswarm sauce. • 4 slices mozzarellaPour sauce over chicken breasts. Cover with foil and cheesebake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is Sauce:cooked. During the last five minutes, add a slice of • 3 T. buttermozzarella to each bread piece and allow to melt. • 1/2 pt. heavy cream • 1/2 c. milk • 1/2 c. grated cheese •1 T. parsley
10. Baked Pork Chops • Pork chops (as many as needed) • flourCoat pork chops with mustard. Lightly dredge in flour • Dijon mustardand then brown quickly in skillet. Place in baking dish. • 1 bell pepperAdd salt and pepper to taste. Add thinly sliced pepperand onion over each chop. • 1 medium onionCover with foil and bake at 325º for 35 to 40 minutes,until chops are cooked.
11. Beef and Rice Casserole • 1 lb. ground beef • 3/4 c. chopped onionThis is delicious when made ahead, stored in a casserole • 1/4 c. chopped belldish, then reheated. Can be eaten like this or topped with peppershredded cheese and popped under broiler. • 1 c. minute riceBrown beef in skillet. Add onion and green pepper. Drain • 1 16-oz. canoff excess grease. Stir in seasonings, soup, tomatoes, and tomatoesrice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for • 1 can cream ofabout five minutes, stirring occasionally. mushroom soup Spices: (add to taste) • basil • oregano • garlic • bay leaf • fresh parsley
12. Filo Chicken Packets • 3/4 c. chopped green onion • 3/4 c. mayonnaiseNote: One package of filo dough usually contains 22 sheets, • 3 T. lemon juiceor 11 packets. A hearty eater will consume 1 1/2 packets • 3 cloves garlic,during a meal. mincedThaw frozen filo dough in its package for 8 hours in the • 3/4 t. dry tarragonrefrigerator, then let it stand for 2 hours before you use • 2/3 c. meltedit. Once the filo dough has been opened and unrolled, butterplace a slightly damp towel over it to prevent drying out. • 12 sheets filoMix together green onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, 2 doughcloves of the garlic and tarragon and set aside. Combine • 6 chicken breastremaining garlic with the butter. halves, boned andPlace one sheet of the filo dough on a board and brush it skinnedwith about 2 t. garlic butter. Arrange a second sheet on • 2 T. gratedtop and brush it with another 2 t. garlic butter. Lightly Parmesan cheesesprinkle a chicken piece with salt and pepper, spread one • salt and pepper toside with the mayonnaise mixture. Turn over one cornerof the filo and top with more mayonnaise mixture taste
13. Filo Chicken Packets (continued)(about 3 T. in all).Roll the corner of the filo over the chicken once. Foldside over top and roll again. Fold opposite corner overthen roll up. Repeat for all chicken pieces. Place slightlyapart in ungreased baking pan. Brush all packets withremaining garlic butter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.Bake at 375° for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden. Servehot.
14. Moussaka • 3 eggplants • 1 c. butter • 3 large onionsPeel the eggplants and cut them into slices about 1/2- • 2 lbs. ground lambinch thick. Brown the slices quickly in 4 T. of the butter. or beefSet aside. Heat 4 T. of butter in the same skillet and cookthe onions until they are brown. Add the ground meat • 3 T. tomato pasteand cook 10 minutes. Combine the tomato paste with • 1/2 c. red winethe wine, parsley, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir this • 1/2 c. choppedmixture into the meat and simmer over low heat, stirring parsleyfrequently until all the liquid has been absorbed. Removethe mixture from the fire. • 1/4 t. cinnamon • 1/2 t. salt (or toPreheat oven to 375°. Make a white sauce by melting taste)8 T. butter and blending in the flour, stirring with a • freshly groundwire whisk. Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil andadd it gradually to the butter/flour mixture, stirring black pepperconstantly. When the mixture is thickened and smooth, • 6 T. flourremove it from the heat. Cool slightly and stir in the • 1 qt. milkbeaten eggs, nutmeg, and ricotta cheese. Grease an • 3 eggs11 x 16-inch pan and sprinkle the bottom lightly withbread crumbs. Arrange alternate layers of eggplant and • nutmeg
15. Moussaka (continued) • 2 c. ricotta or cottage cheese • 1 c. fine breadmeat sauce in the pan, sprinkling each layer with Parmesan crumbscheese and bread crumbs. • 1 c. freshly gratedPour the ricotta cheese sauce over the top and bake one Parmesan cheesehour, or until top is golden. Remove from the oven andcool 20 – 30 minutes before serving. Cut into squaresand serve. Serves 8.
16. Honey Glazed Chicken • 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. cut up chicken • 2 T. melted butterPreheat oven to 400°. Place chicken in a lightly greased • 1 t. salt13 x 9-inch dish, skin up. Brush with melted butter and • 1/4 t. peppersprinkle on salt and pepper. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, oruntil light golden brown. • 8-oz. can refrigera- tor biscuitsIn a small sauce pan, combine all glaze ingredients. • 1/3 c. corn flakesMix well. Cook over medium heat until thickened, (slightly crushed)stirring occasionally.Drain excess fat from cooked chicken. Move chicken Glaze:to one end of the baking dish, and arrange biscuits in • 2/3 c. honeyopposite end. Spoon glaze over chicken and biscuits. • 1/2 c. orange juiceSprinkle corn flakes over biscuits. Return to oven for10 – 15 minutes. • 2 T. flour • 1 T. lemon juice • 1 t. cinnamon • 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
17. No-Peek Chicken and Rice • 3/4 c. uncooked white rice • 1 can condensedPreheat oven to 350°. In 3-quart oblong baking dish cream of celery,combine uncooked rice, cream soup, onion soup mix chicken or mushroomand water. Arrange chicken on top of this mixture. soupBake 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until chicken is tender and rice • 1 envelope onionis done. 4 servings. soup mix • 2 1/4 c. water • 2 1/2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
18. S D Sweet Potato “Pancake” Cornbread Sausage and Stuffing Broccoli Casserole Zucchini Casserole Spinach CasseroleVenice (California) Apple Casserole Pesto
19. Sweet Potato “Pancake” • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted • 5 medium sweetA new Thanksgiving classic. Substitute butternut squash potatoesfor sweet potatoes or apples for pears, if you wish. (about 1 pound 10Preheat oven to 400° with a rack in the lower third of the ounces)oven. Melt the butter. Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes. • 3 firm, ripe pearsPeel, halve, core and thinly slice the pear. Butter a 9-inch • salt and whitecake or pie pan. Arrange a layer of sliced sweet potatoes pepper (to taste)in the pan, overlapping them slightly in a neat pattern. • 3 T. maple syrupGently press layer with your hands to flatten it slightly.Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with a littlemelted butter. Top with half the pear slices, sprinklingthem with 1 T. maple syrup and more butter. Add alayer of sweet potato, then the remaining pears then theremaining sweet potato, each time pressing gently andseasoning as directed. Drizzle top with the rest of themelted butter. Cover the dish with foil and then coverwith a lid. Bake in the lower third of oven for 40 minutes.Remove lid and foil and bake until lightly golden and
20. Sweet Potato “Pancake” (continued)tender, about 25 minutes more. If you’d like to glazethe pancake further, place the pan directly on the floorof the oven for about 5 minutes (watch carefully so as toprevent over browning). Remove pan from the oven andcool for about 5 minutes.Carefully invert the pan onto a large round platter andlet the pancake settle. Remove the baking pan carefully.Serve hot, cut into wedges. To prepare in advance, coverthe pancake with foil, then reheat. Serves 8.
21. Cornbread Sausage and Stuffing • 1 1/2 lbs. sausage meat • 1 c. minced onionMakes 2 quarts (enough for a 10-12 pound turkey). • 1 c. minced celery • 1 16-oz. pkg.Saute sausage slowly, breaking it up with a fork, untillightly browned and thoroughly cooked. Transfer to Pepperidge Farmlarge bowl using a slotted spoon. Drain all but 1/4 cup cornbread stuffingdrippings from skillet. Add onion and celery. Saute until • 1/2 t. sagegolden. Add to sausage with remaining ingredients and • 1/2 t. thymetoss lightly. (This can be doubled.) If not stuffing a bird,put in a casserole. • 1 t. Bell’s seasoning • 1/4 t. pepperCover and bake at 325º for 45 – 60 minutes. Baste with • 1 c. melted butterturkey drippings or broth frequently to blend juices andprevent sticking.
22. Broccoli Casserole • 2 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli • 1 c. mushroomCook broccoli for 5 minutes and drain. Mix remaining soup, undilutedingredients cracker crumbs and paprika. Add broccoli • 1/2 c. mayonnaiseand spoon into a casserole dish. Bake at 400° for 20minutes. Sprinkle cracker crumbs and paprika on as • 1 t. finely choppedtopping. onion • 1 c. grated cheddar cheese • 2 eggs, beaten • cracker crumbs • paprika
23. Zucchini Casserole • 1 1/2 c. sliced onions • 3 c. zucchiniGrate zucchini, put in colander and sprinkle on 1 – 2 t. shreddedsalt (this will cause zucchini to ooze its liquid). Meanwhile, • 2 – 3 T. floursaute sliced onions in olive oil. Squeeze the zucchini dry(reserve some of this liquid) and add to onions. Continue •milkto saute until both are tender. Add 2 – 3 T. flour. Stir in • shredded cheddarto cook flour. Add a bit of milk and some of the zucchini cheeseliquid if desired. Put in casserole dish and sprinkle cheeseon top.Place under broiler until cheese melts. Can be made aheadand reheated.
24. Spinach Casserole • 3 pkg. frozen spinach • 8 slices bacon,Preheat oven to 350°. Cook the spinach as per package diced and cookeddirections and drain well. Lay hot, cooked spinach into • 10 T. sour creama 8 x 10-inch baking dish. Spread bacon then sour creamover, then sprinkle with cheese. or plain yogurt • 8 oz. mild cheddarBake 20 – 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes cheese, grated4 – 6 servings.
25. Venice (California) Apple Casserole • 6 green apples, washed, cored and slicedMix all ingredients together. Lay in oiled 9 x 12-inch • 1 1/4 c. oatmealcasserole. Cover. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover • 1 1/4 c. brownfor last 5 minutes. Makes 8 – 10 servings. sugar • 4 T. cooking oil • nutmeg and cinnamon (a couple of dashes each) • 1 c. crushed walnuts • 1 c. raisins • 1/3 c. whole wheat flour • 3 eggs
26. Pesto • 2 c. fresh basil leaves, washed thoroughlyCoarsely chop basil leaves into food processor. One at a • 2 – 4 cloves mincedtime, add garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan, mixing after garliceach addition. The mixture will be very thick. Continuemixing and slowly add olive oil until mixture is the • 1/2 c. pine nutsconsistency of creamed butter. • 3/4 c. parmesan cheesePour pesto into storage container and cover with thin • 3/4 c. olive oillayer of olive oil. Cover tightly and refrigerate or freeze.
27. S, S, D  S Spinach Salad Tomato Yogurt Soup Bearnaise Sauce Hollandaise Sauce Corn Chowder Red, White and Blue Layer Salad Homemade Salad Dressing
28. Spinach Salad • hard boiled eggs • bacon, fried and dicedThe combination of sweet, hot, curry and grapefruit makes • fresh spinach leavesthis an unusual and tasty salad. • fresh mushrooms,Mix pecans, honey, cayenne together in a bowl then roast slicedon baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes. Drain the canned for hot, sweet, cur-grapefruit segments, chop hard boiled eggs and gently ried pecans:combine ingredients in a large salad bowl. (The amount • pecansof ingredients depends on how large a salad you wish tomake.) • honey • cayenneToss with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, or bottled Italian • canned grapefruitdressing. segments, drained of juice
29. Tomato Yogurt Soup • 2 c. yogurt • 2 1/2 c. tomato juiceThis cold version of a traditional soup is a refreshing change • 3/4 t. garlic saltfor those hot-weather meals. • finely choppedCombine yogurt, tomato juice and garlic salt in blender. green onionsBlend at medium speed for 2 minutes. Chill. Serve gar- • finely choppednished with green onions and parsley. 6 servings. parsley
30. Bearnaise Sauce • 3 egg yolks • 2/3 c. melted butter (unsalted)Wonderful with steamed artichokes. • 1 T. dried tarragonCombine wine, vermouth, shallot and tarragon in small • 1/4 c. dry whitesaucepan. Boil down to half of the original quantity wine or white wine(approximately 1/4 cup should remain). Strain. Put egg vinegar withyolks in cold double boiler. Water in double boiler should tarragonnot touch bottom of upper pan. Beat with flat bottomedwhisk until they look creamy and lemony. Over medium • 1/4 c. dryheat, slowly add melted butter while continuously stirring. vermouth • 1/2 chopped shallotWhen all butter has been added, immediately add strained • white peppertarragon mixture (do not overcook once butter has beenadded). Adding tarragon mixture will make the sauce verythin. Continue stirring and cooking over medium to lowheat until sauce starts to thicken. Do not let sauce get toothick; it will continue to thicken once removed from heat.Add a few shakes of white pepper to taste. Remove fromheat immediately. Serves 2.
31. Hollandaise Sauce • 3 egg yolks • 2/3 c. melted unsalted butterThis sauce is a must for Eggs Benedict! • 2 T. lemon juice • 2 T. boiling waterCombine 2 T. lemon juice and 2T. boiling water. Strain.Put egg yolks in cold double boiler. Water in double • cayenne pepperboiler should not touch bottom of upper pan. Beatwith flat bottomed whisk so they look creamy andlemony. Over medium heat, slowly add melted butterwhile continuously stirring. When all butter has beenadded, immediately add lemon juice and boiling watermixture (do not overcook once butter has been added).This will make the sauce very thin.Continue stirring and cooking over medium to low heatuntil sauce starts to thicken. Do not let sauce get too thick;it will continue to thicken once removed from heat. Add afew shakes of cayenne pepper to taste. Remove from heatimmediately. Serves 2.
32. Corn Chowder • 1 lb. can cream- style corn or fresh corn cut off the cobMake this chowder in a dutch oven. • 3 slices bacon cut in stripsFry the bacon in it until almost crisp. Add the onionand potato and saute lightly (do not brown). Stir in the • 1 medium onion,corn and seasonings. Add the boiling water, cover, and slicedbake for about 45 minutes at 350°, or cook on top of • 1 c. thinly slicedthe stove over low heat for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring potatooccasionally. • 1 T. sugarAdd the milk and continue to cook until very hot. When • 3 c. boiling wateryou are about ready to serve, stir in a little of the hot mix- • 1 large can evapo-ture into the egg yolks and stir all back together. Add the rated milk or 2 c.butter, and garnish with parsley or chives. rich milk, scalded • 2 egg yolks, stirred • 1 T. butter • chopped parsley or chives
33. Red, White and Blue Layer Salad • 2 small pkg. cherry Jell-O • 2 small pkg. lemonThis layered salad is a festive addition to your 4th of July Jell-Ocelebration. • 2 small pkg. rasp-Bottom layer: Dissolve cherry Jell-O in 1 cup boiling berry or blackberrywater. Cool. Add pineapple. Pour in bottom of mold Jell-Oand chill. • 1 small can crushed pineappleMiddle layer: Dissolve lemon Jell-O in 1 cup boilingwater. Cool. Beat together with milk and sour cream. • 14 1/2 canCombine cooled lemon mixture and milk mixture. blueberriesWhen bottom layer is firm but slightly sticky to touch, • 1/2 pt. sour creamgently add the middle layer. • 2 c. milkTop layer: Dissolve raspberry Jell-O in 2 cups boiling • 3 c. boiling waterwater. Cool. Add blueberries. Pour over middle layerafter it is firm but slightly sticky to the touch.
34. Homemade Salad Dressing • 4 T. olive oil • 2 T. red wine vinegarInteresting variations can be made to this recipe by substitut- • 1 T. fresh-squeezeding another vinegar (balsamic, tarragon, or raspberry) for lemon juicethe wine vinegar and lemon juice. • 1 – 2 clovesCombine in decanter. Shake well. Leave at room temp- crushed garlicerature for at least 20 minutes before pouring over salad. • 1 T. sugar • 1 t. salt • fresh ground pepper
36. Blueberry Muffins • 1/2 c. butter • 1 c. sugar • 2 c. flour (unsifted)On low mixer speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. • 2 eggsAdd eggs, one at a time, and mix until blended. Sift dry • 1/2 c. milkingredients and add alternately with milk and vanilla.Mash 1/2 cup blueberries and stir in by hand. Add rest • 2 t. baking powderof blueberries whole and stir in by hand. • 1/2 t. salt • 2 1/2 c. fresh blue-Grease muffin tins well with butter (grease top surface of berriestins as well). Pile mix high in each muffin cup. Sprinklesugar over tops. • 2 t. sugar (for top) • 1 t. vanillaBake at 375° for 30 minutes. Cool in pan for at least 30minutes. Makes about 1 dozen large muffins.
37. Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake • 1 t. salt • 1 t. cinnamon • 1 t. clovesMix together salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla and • 1/2 t. nutmegsugar. Dissolve baking soda in a little warm water and stir • 1 t. vanillainto applesauce. Add applesauce slowly to sugar mixture.Stir in oil. Stir in flour. Add raisins, dates, nuts to mixture. • 2 c. sugar • 2 c. unsweetenedPour into 2 greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. applesauceBake at 350° for 45 to 60 minutes. • 2 t. baking soda • 1 c. oil • 3 1/2 c. sifted flour • 2 c. raisins or chopped dates • 1 c. chopped walnuts
38. Zucchini Bread • 3 eggs • 1 c. oil • 2 c. sugarBeat eggs until foamy. Add oil, sugar, vanilla and mix well. • 1 t. vanillaStir in zucchini. Combine the dry ingredients and mix • 2 1/2 c. zucchini,well. Fold in nuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Bake at 325° for one hour. peeled and grated • 3 c. flour • 1 T. cinnamon • 1 1/2 t. baking powder • 1 t. baking soda • 1 t. salt • 1c. chopped walnuts
39. D Indian Pudding Royal Marble Cheesecake Praline Cheesecake Fudgey Brownies Carrot Cake Cream Cheese Frosting Toll House PieMayonnaise Devil’s Food Cake Fudge Icing
40. M DGraham Cracker Brownies Christmas Fruit Cake Easy Chocolate Cake Lemon Squares Lemoncake Pudding Poppy Seed Cake Apple Cake
41. Indian Pudding • 4 c. milk • 1/3 c. yellow corn mealPour 3 cups milk in saucepan and bring just to a boil. • 1/4 c. waterMoisten corn mean in a cup with 1/4 cup water (to • 1/2 t. gingerprevent lumps). Stir rapidly into hot milk using a wirewhisk. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. • 1/2 t. cinnamon • 1/4 c. sugarCombine spices and stir into mixture. Stir in molasses. • 1/2 t. saltPour into a buttered 1-1/2 quart casserole. Gently pour • 1/2 c. molassesthe one remaining cup of milk over the top — do notstir. Dot with butter and bake at 325º for 1 1/2 to 2hours. Serve hot with cream, ice cream, or hard sauce.
42. Royal Marble Cheesecake • 6-oz. pkg. chocolate morsels • 1 c. flourAn involved, but tried and true recipe. A favorite for those • 2 T. plus 1 c. sugarwho like a rich cheesecake. • 1/4 t. saltMelt chocolate morsels on top of double boiler over hot • 1/4 c. butterwater. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 2 T. sugar, and salt. Cut in • 3 8-oz. pkg. creambutter until particles are fine. Stir in 2 T. chocolate. Press cheese (at roominto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 400° for temperature)10 minutes. • 2 t. vanillaSoften cream cheese with one cup sugar in mixing bowl. • 6 eggs, separatedBlend in 1/4 cup flour and vanilla. Add egg yolks; beat • 1 c. sour creamwell. Blend in sour cream. Beat egg whites until softpeaks form.Fold into cheese mixture very thoroughly. Combineremaining chocolate with 1 3/4 cups of cheese mixture.Pour half of plain mixture over baked crust. Top withspoonfuls of half the chocolate mixture and cover withremaining plain mixture, then with chocolate mixture.
43. Royal Marble Cheesecake (continued)Cut through batter with spatula to marble.Place in 400° oven. Immediately set at 300°. Bake for 1hour. Turn off oven; let remain in closed oven 1 hour.Cool for 2 – 3 hours. Chill at least 8 hours before serving.To cut, use a wet hot sharp knife.
44. Praline Cheesecake • 1 c. graham cracker crumbs • 3 T. sugarHeat oven to 350°. Combine crumbs, sugar, and butter. • 3 T. butter, meltedPress into bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350° • 3 8-oz. pkg. creamfor 10 minutes. cheese, softenedCombine the softened cream cheese, sugar and flour, • 1 1/4 c. dark brownmixing at medium speed on electric mixer until well sugar, packedblended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each • 2 T. flouraddition. Blend in vanilla and nuts. Pour mixture overcrumbs. • 3 eggs • 1 1/2 t. vanillaBake at 350° for 50 – 55 minutes. Loosen cake from • 1/2 c. finely choppedrim of pan. Cool before removing rim of pan. Chill. pecansBrush with maple syrup and garnish with pecan halves,if desired. Up to 12 servings.
45. Fudgey Brownies • 3/4 c. Hershey’s Cocoa • 1/2 t. baking sodaStir cocoa and baking soda in mixing bowl. Blend in 1/3 • 2/3 c. vegetable oilcup vegetable oil. Add boiling water. Stir until mixture • 1/2 c. boiling waterthickens. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup oil.Stir until smooth. Add flour, vanilla and salt. Blend (measure accurately)completely. • 2 c. sugar • 2 eggsPour into lightly greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake at 350° • 1 1/3 c. unsiftedfor 35 – 40 minutes. flour • 1 t. vanilla • 1/4 t. salt
46. Carrot Cake • 3 c. grated carrots • 2 c. flour • 2 c. sugarSift dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Make a • 2 t. cinnamonwell and add oil and eggs. Mix well. Add carrots, vanilla • 1 t. nutmegand nuts. Mix. • 1 t. saltBake in 13 x 9-inch pan at 350° for 40 – 45 minutes until • 2 t. baking sodadone. • 2 t. baking powder • 4 eggs • 1 1/2 c. oil • 1 t. vanilla • 1 c. chopped walnuts
47. Cream Cheese Frosting • 1 lb. powdered sugar • 8 oz. cream cheeseThis recipe makes a lot. Use 1/2 portions for just the topping. • 1 cube butter • 2 t. vanillaMix together and spread on cake.
48. Toll House Pie • 2 eggs • 1/2 c. flour • 1/2 c. sugarAn easy alternative to those favorite cookies. This recipe can • 1/2 c. firmlybe doubled successfully. packed brown sugarPreheat oven to 325°. In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. • 1 c. butter, meltedAdd flour, sugar and brown sugar. Beat until well blended. and cooledBlend in melted butter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. • 6-oz. pkg. chocolatePut into pie shell. chipsBake at 325° for approximately one hour. Serve warm • 1 c. choppedwith whipped cream or ice cream. walnuts • 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell • whipped cream or ice cream
49. Mayonnaise Devil’s Food Cake • 4 c. sifted cake flour • 2 c. sugarMayonnaise, the secret ingredient in this cake, makes it • 1 1/2 c. cocoaespecially moist and rich. • 4 t. baking sodaSift together flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda into • 2 c. cold waterlarge bowl. Add water, mayonnaise and vanilla. Beat • 2 c. mayonnaise atuntil smooth. Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch pan lined room temperaturewith buttered wax paper. • 1 T. vanillaBake at 350° for 45 minutes until toothpick inserted incenter comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Turn outonto cake rack and remove waxed paper. Frost withfudge icing.
50. Fudge Icing • 1/2 c. butter • 1/4 c. cocoa • 1 eggCream together butter and cocoa. Add egg and blend • 2 c. powderedwell. Gradually mix in sugar. Using electric mixer, beat • sugaron high speed to combine thoroughly. • milkIf icing is too stiff, add 1 t. milk at a time until a thickand moist consistency is reached.
51. Graham Cracker Brownies • 2 c. finely crushed graham cracker crumbsThis quick, simple recipe makes a rich and chewy treat. • 1 can sweetened condensed milkMix all ingredients together. Spread in greased andfloured 11 x 7-inch or 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake • 1 pkg. chocolateat 350° for 20 – 25 minutes. chips
52. Christmas Fruit Cake • 1 c. vegetable oil • 1 1/2 c. sugar • 4 eggsA traditional holiday treat! This is a pound cake with fruit, a • 2 c. plus 1 c. flourpleasant contrast to the sugary store-bought variety. • 1 t. baking powderPreheat oven to 275°. • 2 t. salt • 1 c. pineapple juiceMix together oil, sugar, eggs and beat vigorously by hand • 1 1/2 lbs. mixedor with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Sift together 2 cupsflour with baking powder and salt. To this stir in oil mix- candied fruitture alternately with pineapple juice. • 1 lb. light-colored raisinsSeparately, mix 1 cup flour into candied fruit, raisins, nuts. • 2 c. chopped nutsPour batter over fruit, mixing thoroughly. If batter seemsthin, add a small amount of flour. (Batter should be thick • 1 T. vanillaenough so fruit does not sink to bottom.) • 2 - 3 T. rum or brandy (flavoringGrease 2 loaf pans and line with waxed paper. Pour batter extracts or the realinto pans. Place a pan of water on lower oven rack. Bakecakes 2 1/2 – 3 hours at 275°. thing)
53. Christmas Fruit Cake (continued)After baking, let cakes stand 15 minutes before removingfrom pans. Cool thoroughly on racks without removingpaper. When cool, remove paper. Wrap cakes in aluminumfoil and store in refrigerator. Best if made one week to onemonth ahead.
54. Easy Chocolate Cake • 1 egg • 1/2 c. vegetable oil • 1 c. sugarThis easy, flexible recipe makes a delicious chocolate layer • 1 2/3 c. flourcake, sheet cake or cupcakes. You can double this recipe • 4 T. cocoasuccessfully. • 1 t. baking powderJust drop ingredients into a bowl in the order listed at • 1 t. baking sodaright. Mix until smooth with an electric mixer. Pour • 1 t. vanillainto your choice of baking pans (cupcake, layer cake, • 1 c. boiling watersquare or oblong). Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or untildone.
55. Lemon Squares Crust: • 2 c. flour • 1/2 c. powderedCrust: Cream together flour, sugar and butter. Grease sides sugarof a 13 x 9-inch pan and press dough into pan, spreading • 2 sticks butter,higher on sides to hold filling. Bake 15 – 20 minutes at350° till golden. meltedFilling: Beat eggs slightly, then add sugar and salt. Blend Filling:in lemon juice and lemon rind. Add flour and stir well. • 4 eggsPour filling over baked crust and bake for 30 minutes. Sift • 4 T. flourpowdered sugar over while hot. Cool and cut into squares. • 2 c. sugar • pinch of salt • 4 T. lemon juice • grated lemon rind to taste
56. Lemoncake Pudding • 1/4 c. flour • 1 c. sugar • 1/4 t. saltSift together flour, sugar, salt and lemon rind. Stir in • 1 1/2 t. gratedlemon juice, egg yolks and milk. Fold egg whites into lemon rindmixture. Pour into 1-quart casserole or 6 custard cups.Set in pan with 1 inch of water. • 1/4 c. lemon juice • 2 egg yolksBake at 350° for 50 minutes. (well beaten) • 2 egg whites (stiffly beaten) • 1 c. milk
57. Poppy Seed Cake • 1 c. butter • 1 1/2 c. sugar • 2 1/2 c. wheat flourSoak poppyseeds in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Cream • 1 t. baking sodabutter and sugar together. Add egg yolks. Add the dry • 1 c. buttermilkingredients, alternating poppyseeds with the flour andsugar mixture. Beat eggs white stiff and fold into mixture. • 1/2 oz. poppyseedPour half of batter into greased bundt pan. Mix brown • 1 t. vanillasugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Pour on • 4 eggs, separatedremaining half of batter. • 1/2 c. brown sugarBake at 350° for one hour. Test with toothpick for • 1 t. cinnamondoneness.
58. Apple Cake • 2 c. finely chopped raw apples • 1/2 c. sugarPlace apples in large mixing bowl. Add sugar, stir, and let • 1 egg, beatenstand for 1/2 hour. Add rest of ingredients and blend well. • 1 c. flourPour into 8 or 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350° for 35minutes. • 1 t. cinnamon • 1 t. baking sodaThis will be a very moist cake. Serve with powdered • 1/4 t. saltsugar sprinkled over or top each serving with a dollop • 1/2 c. chopped nutsof whipped cream. • 1 t. vanilla • 1/2 c. raisins