View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
PROFESSOR: EDGAR ALIRIO
TASK DESIGN PROJECT
LUZ ADRIANA SOLANO B
The Colombus American School is a bilingual private institution located
in Rivera. It has 367 students, from primary and secondary.
This task project was applied with
children from first grade.
Language level: false beginners
Skills: reading, speaking and writing
Numer of students: 25
I work with students from first
grade. I am a home room
teacher in charge of 25
My students range in ages
between 6 and 7 years old. They
belong to a high socio economical
status. Most of them have had
the opportunity to travel abroad
or take english courses after
I have been teaching at this school for two years in first grade,
which has given me a lot experience to see the importance of
introducing children to literacy at an early age, so learners can
learn more about vocabulary, reinforce their reading
comprehension, get the identification of important events,
sequences and improve the other language skills.
Based on my experience and knowing the english level of the
school I decided to guide this task to use content based reading
and applied word recognition exercises and reading aloud
strategies in order to improve the reading comprehesion of my
• To improve the reading comprehension of
the students in first grade by using
content based reading
•To apply reading aloud strategies
and word recognition exercises to
promote the reading comprehension.
Where the frogs come from?
Pre- reading While reading
Task 1: Pre- reading
•Bring to class slides of pictures of different kind of frogs in
•Ask students to describe them orally, using colors, size, parts
of the body. Here students can practice structures with verb to
•Show learners a video of frogs to have fun and ask them to
identify events, feelings.
Video of Two frogs
the hills fo
of the Atelopus
discovered in the
Mountain of the Darien
Poison frog of
• Show flashcards to introduce new
vocabulary such as egg, tapole, pop out,
• Ask students to repeat it.
• Stick on the board the flash cards and
ask students to point out them.
Task 3: While- reading
• Review vocabulary
• Distribute the books in pairs
• Read aloud the story slowly, students follow the text
• Stop. Make sure students understand the reading
• Ask some volunteers to read aloud part of the story
Task 4: Post- Reading
• Show students the frog life cycle and ask them to retell the story
based on that.
• Write next to each step a short sentence telling the changes of
• Distribute a worksheet related to the story. Here students
identify main events, characters, setting, vocabulary.
• Distribute strips of construction paper and ask students to draw
the metamorphosis of the frog
• Then students will make a chain with the strips of construction
• Volunteers will describe the metamorphosis of the frogs.
Tadpoles have big
bodies and long
Tadpoles grow back