Transcript of "Presentaciones projectTHE LISTENING COMPREHENSION IN THE SECON SPECIALTY NURSING FACULTY "
UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL PEDRO RUIZ GALLO FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS HISTORICO SOCIALES Y EDUCACION UNIDAD DE MAESTRIA EN CIENCIAS DE LA EDUCACION Master Program Didactics English “ The Listening Comprehension of Texts and their development in student’s of the Second Specialty of the Nurse’s Faculty. National University Pedro Ruiz Gallo. Lambayeque 2010”. Elaborate by : Lic. Lupe Rivera Gonzales Prof.: Dr. Cesar Jimenez Lambayeque Perú
1.- REALITY: <ul><li>The English language teaching develop in the Curricula of the Second Specialty of Nursing Faculty and has a duration of 24 hours and two credits academics and is delivered in the first semester of the course. In Peru in some universities where exist courses of the second specialty include course from specific purpose . </li></ul><ul><li>Second Specialty Program belongs to the studies of Postgrade from profesional of health services. </li></ul><ul><li>The second specialty belongs to Postgrade School and was created from the year 2005 until the present time. </li></ul><ul><li>The director is the Mg. Rosalía Santa Cruz and the theories classes are developed in the university campus, the classes practice in important hospitals of the town . </li></ul>
2.- PROBLEMATIC SITUATION <ul><li>The reason of this investigation was the situation problematic observed as a fact perceptual in the social historical practice of the limited development of the competition on the part of students and professionals of the career of Nursery. </li></ul><ul><li>Also the inadequate teaching strategies for the learning skills specially in the listening in the professionals purpose. </li></ul><ul><li>Keys Words : Listening Strategies, hearing, Judging , </li></ul><ul><li>Predicting , listening for specific details, students skills. </li></ul>
Why used the listening strategies to improve our teaching of English for specific purpose ? Language Centre ABC 2.1. Problematic situation: MATRIX FOR DIAGNOSING REALITY How evaluated the results of efficiency and effectiveness of the oral communication in the classrooms? Listening strategies Classrooms Campus Nursing Faculty UNPRG The curriculum to the Second Specialty . Improve teaching of English for specific purpose The activities in our pedagogical practice EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT OF THE OBJECT UNDER STUDY INTERNAL ENVIRONMENT Does the classrooms are adequate for improve our teaching of English for specific purpose? Second Specialty Program Nursing Faculty .UNPRG PERU What should be the activities in our pedagogical practice to develop the listening strategies ? Why the Listening Strategies determined the efficiency and effectiveness Oral Communication in the teaching English? Efficiency & Effectiveness Oral Comunication We can develop correctly the practice pedagogic in the classroom environment ? Which is the teaching of english for specific purpose in the curriculum to the Second Specialty ? What activities of pedagogical practices should be considered in the Curriculum of second specialty The curriculum to the Second Specialty responds to the necessities of efficiency and effectiveness in the oral communication of the professionals ?
3.- PROBLEM <ul><li>There is the difficult in the development of listen skill in the second specialty students that limits the understanding of English’s Texts and the Listening Comprehension process in the Students of Post degree Second Specialty Nurse’s Faculty UNPRG. Lambayeque-Perú. </li></ul>
4.- OBJECT UNDER STUDY AND SPECIFIC AREA SECOND SPECIALTY PROGRAM Nursing Faculty . National University Pedro Ruíz Gallo Lambayeque-Perú Critical Care and Emergency Mother and Children’s Gerontology and Geriatrics Patient’s Operating Room
Second Specialty Critical care &Emergency English for Specific Purpose Teaching skills Listening Comprehension Learners Proffesionals S T U D Y F O R S P E C I F I C A R E A T E A C H I N G S T R A T E G I ES
Principles to teaching in the pedagogical practices Teaching Listening strategies Factors in the Interaction Comunication Area Sub-Areas Second Specialty Program English for Specific Purpose Listening Skill Promoting engagement in Language Learning - Methodologies to specific purpose - Describe and analyze school contexts - Classroom practices and curriculum design - Used the audio-lingual method . - Monitoring comprehension helps students - Recognizing word-order patterns - Reading and Language Learning - Grammatical Development in Language Learning - Attitudes, Orientations and Motivations in Language Learning 4.1. Proposed division of Didactics Promoting the efficiency and effectiveness listening Teaching Listening for meaning <ul><li>Developing a listening for the main idea </li></ul><ul><li>Improve t and verify the predicting </li></ul><ul><li>Contribute for drawing inferences </li></ul><ul><li>Realized a summarizing </li></ul>
5.- OBJECTIVE OF RESEARCH <ul><li>Improve the develop of he listening comprehension of texts in English in the students of second specialty Nurse’s Faculty National University Pedro Ruiz Gallo it will allow us to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of the Oral Comunication . </li></ul>
6. Product or Concretion of Research Listening strategies are techniques or activities that contribute directly to improve the comprehension of medical english texts .
7. Inferential assumption <ul><li>If we select top-down and bottom-up strategies that are appropriate to the listening task and use them flexibly and interactively , then students will be improve the listening comprehension and their confidence increases when they use listening strategies simultaneously to construct meaning. </li></ul><ul><li>If we develop a program to improve the ability of listening in the second specialty students, then they will learn efficiently and effectiveness the listening and speaking. </li></ul>
Improve the develop of learning strategies “ The students easy to learn “ They will participate in class activities The students easy to learn “ The inappropiate developed of learning strategies “ Difficult the learning of english for specific purpose IF THEN THEN IF Learning Strategies Teaching learning process ROL OF THE TEACHER Language learning and teaching are shaped by student needs and objectives in particular circumstances Communication in social context. Appropriacy. Functional competence The teacher assumes more responsibility 7.1. Inferential Assumption Scheme Facilitator. Manager of learning activities. Promotes communication among Ss. Ss learn to communicate by negotiating meaning in real context. Activities include information gap, choice, feedback . Learning strategies for the specific purspose Forming students compettiveness in specific field professional.
8. Tasks of research Techniques For Listening : Sheerin (1987) stated that important considerations in actually teaching effective listening are adequate preparation, adequate support and provision of appropriate tasks. However diagnosis of error patterns, together with positive feedback and remedial action are also vital in teaching listening. Materials For Teaching Listening There are also three ways of acquiring materials: (i) buying published materials (ii) adapting published materials (iii) writing your own materials. Regarding the recording of materials, there are three types of constructed listening passages: tightly-scripted, semi-scripted and unscripted
9. Methods and Techniques for demonstrating the assumption <ul><li>Action research </li></ul><ul><li>Accounts </li></ul><ul><li>Triangulation </li></ul><ul><li>Role-playing </li></ul><ul><li>The interview </li></ul><ul><li>Personal constructs </li></ul><ul><li>Multidimensional measurement </li></ul><ul><li>The ethics of educational and social research </li></ul>The population will be all the students of the programs second specialty of Faculty of the national University Pedro Ruiz Gallo Lambayeque. Design of Investigation. - The investigation will be descriptive, explanatory and the correlation research . The presentation of the results will be in percentage squares of double entrance.
10. Purpose and Rationale of research <ul><li>In many textbooks used in the Universities, teachers may find a listening stage in each unit of a course. However, most of them ignore it or skip it to the other English skills, such as writing, reading and speaking. The main reason of this problem is the less facility of the professionals learners to support the listening stage in the class. Somehow, teachers may pretend as the native speaker in teaching listening. </li></ul><ul><li>They may read the text and interactively tries to communicate with the pupils. However, there are some bizarre dialects of English which is cannot be practiced or pronounced well by the teachers. The Teachers really need to model their students because they can ask students to listen to a text or conversation and listen it scene by scene. </li></ul>
11. The State of the Art Listening, like reading comprehension, is usually defined as a receptive skill comprising both a physical process and an interpretive, analytical process. (See Lundsteen 1979 ) However for this reason , this definition is often expanded to include critical listening skills (higher-order skills such as analysis and synthesis) and nonverbal listening (comprehending the meaning of tone of voice, facial expressions, gestures, and other nonverbal cues.) Althought ,the expanded definition of listening is equally important an emphasizes of the relationship between listening and speaking.
Object of research: EFL Teacher and student Autonomy (Field of study) The listening comprehension for in the curriculum of second specialty critical care nursing program You can used for developing listening activities that starting points for evaluating and adapting textbook listening programs. The listening strategies Nursing professionals learners <ul><li>Plan for listening/viewing </li></ul><ul><li>Review the vocabulary list, if you have one </li></ul><ul><li>Review the worksheet, if you have one </li></ul><ul><li>Review any information you have about the content of the tape/video </li></ul>Monitoring the listening comprehension progress. Is defined to meet specific needs of the proffesionals learners “ If you maintain the attitude that mistakes are a natural part of learning, you will create a supportive environment where students are willing to try to use the language even though their mastery of forms is imperfect .” 11.1. The State of the Art (Tool) Positive Inferences
12. Conceptual framework <ul><li>Listening strategies : are techniques or activities that contribute directly to the comprehension and recall of listening input. Listening strategies can be classified by how the listener processes the input. </li></ul><ul><li>1.-Top-down strategies are listener based; the listener taps into background knowledge of the topic, the situation or context, the type of text, and the language. This background knowledge activates a set of expectations that help the listener to interpret what is heard and anticipate what will come next. Top-down strategies include </li></ul><ul><li>listening for the main idea </li></ul><ul><li>predicting </li></ul><ul><li>drawing inferences </li></ul><ul><li>Summarizing </li></ul><ul><li>2.-Bottom-up strategies are text based; the listener relies on the language in the message, that is, the combination of sounds, words, and grammar that creates meaning. Bottom-up strategies include </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>listening for specific details </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>recognizing cognates </li></ul></ul></ul>
13. Factual framework <ul><li>Evaluating the strategies of the listening comprehension that develop our students in the practical pedagogic. </li></ul><ul><li>Developing a methodology that guides them toward the acquisition of others that will allow them to face the task successfully of understanding exhibitions in this foreign language. </li></ul><ul><li>Exploring the implications for the teaching English for specific purpose with details of helps professionals learners. </li></ul>