1. Presentation 2: dermat/o, melan/o, derma, and onych/o Medical terminology By Loredana T. Lungu
2. DermatologyDermatology is the branch of medicine dealing withthe skin and its diseases, a unique specialty with bothmedical and surgical aspects.
3. DermatologistA dermatologist takes care of diseases, in the widestsense, and some cosmetic problems of the skin,scalp, hair, and nails
4. Melanoma Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. It is the leading cause of death from skin disease.It involves cells called melanocytes, which produce a skin pigmentcalled melanin. Melanin is responsible for skin and hair color.Melanoma can also involve the colored part of the eye.
6. Melanoma of the eye
8. Melanosis coliMelanosis coli is a condition usually associated withchronic laxative use in which dark pigment isdeposited in the lamina propria (one of the lininglayers) of the large intestine (colon). The pigmentdeposition results in a characteristic dark brown toblack discoloration of the lining of the large intestine.
9. Melanosis coli in the caecum
10. DermatitisDermatitis is a general term that describes an inflammation of theskin. There are different types of dermatitis, including seborrheicdermatitis and atopic dermatitis (eczema). Although the disordercan have many causes and occur in many forms, it usuallyinvolves swollen, reddened and itchy skin.
11. Seborrheic Dermatitis
12. Atopic dermatitis
13. Contact dermatitis
14. OnycomycosisOnychomycosis ,also known as “dermatophyticonychomycosis”, “ringworm of the nail,” and “tineaunguium”,means fungal infection of the nail. It is the mostcommon disease of the nails and constitutes about a half of allnail abnormalities.
16. OnychophagiaOnychophagia or nail biting is a common oral compulsive habitin children and adults.
18. OnychoschiziaOnychoschizia, commonly known as nail splitting but also knownas onychoschisis or lamellar dystrophy, is a condition that causeshorizontal splits within the nail plate.