• By the end of this lesson you should be able to:
• Identify the different types of Aid
• Identify the Government Agency in charge of
Australia’s foreign Aid.
• Understand which countries and regions receive
Australian Aid and why.
• Understand what Australian foreign aid is spent on
WHAT IS INTERNATIONAL AID?
• Assistance that governments of developed
countries provide to developing countries for the
purpose of encouraging economic growth and
improvements in living standards.
(Kleeman et al 2012)
WHO IS IN CHARGE
• AusAid (The Australian agency for international
Development) controls where Australia’s aid is
TYPES OF AID
- From one government to another
AusAid-Microfinance Manila (8min)
- Assistance provided by governments through international
agencies such as the World Bank and the IMF
Ausaid funding through Unicef- Phippines (8mins)
Non Government Aid
Aid provided by Non Government Organisations such as World
Vision, Red Cross and many smaller NGO’s.
Oxfam PNG water (3mins)
HOW MUCH DO WE GIVE?
• Australian Government currently gives $4.2 billion in
aid. Is this a lot?
AID GIVEN TO NGO’S
• The Australian people give $800 million per year.
Is this a lot?
• The fundamental aim of Australian Aid is to help
people overcome poverty.
• As clearly stated by AusAid, It also aims to serve
Australia’s national interests.
• It does this by promoting stability and prosperity
both in the region and the wider world.