1. SEO, SEM, SocialBest Practices &Campaign creation toolsLuke FreemanDigital Marketing Coordinator, ABCW: lukes.me T: @lukefreeman Originally presented for GeneralAssemb.ly Sydney
2. AGENDA 2‣ Digital Marketing‣ Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) ‣ Basics, Best practices & Tools‣ Search Engine Marketing (SEM) ‣ Basics, Best practices & Tools‣ Social Media ‣ Basics, Best practices & Tools
3. SEO, SEM, SOCIALDIGITALMARKETING
4. DIGITAL MARKETING 4Benefits‣ Simple to start‣ Highly targeted‣ Measurable‣ Controlled budget‣ Increased brand awareness‣ Immediate feedback= very efficient
5. DIGITAL MARKETING 5Search Engines‣ Google AdWords Note: YouTube (videos) and eBay‣ YouTube (Yes! YouTube is #2) (shopping) make the list, and‣ Yahoo Facebook almost makes the Top 10‣ Baidu (Chinese, Japanese) list.‣ Bing (formerly MSN/Live)‣ eBay (Yes! The shopping site) Google accounts for‣ Naver (Korean) 2/3 of global searches‣ Ask.com and 90% of Australian‣ Yandex (Russia) queries.‣ AOL
6. DIGITAL MARKETING 6Advertising NetworksSearch There are many other‣Google AdWords smaller networks or‣Yahoo/MSN/Bing (not very big in Australia) ones with much higherSocial minimum spends.‣Facebook‣LinkedIn (limited applicability) These are not relevant to SMBs in most cases.Display‣Google Display & YouTube (via AdWords)
7. DIGITAL MARKETING 7Advertising NetworksSearch There are many other‣Google AdWords smaller networks or‣Yahoo/MSN/Bing (not very big in Australia) ones with much higherSocial minimum spends.‣Facebook‣LinkedIn (limited applicability) These are not relevant to SMBs in most cases.Display‣Google Display & YouTube (via AdWords)
8. DIGITAL MARKETING 8Social Media Networks
9. SEO, SEM, SocialSEARCHENGINEOPTIMISATIONBest Practices and Campaign Tools
19. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 19How Search Engines Work‣ Spiders (crawlers/bots) follow links to find pages‣ Pages are added to the SE index‣ Users enter queries into the interface‣ Relevancy algorithms determine the results
20. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 20How Search Engines Work crawled pages in the index + ( phrases + parameters ) + relevancy algorithms = search results
21. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 21
22. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATIONBESTPRACTICESHow to ensure your pages rank well!
23. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 23Best Practices‣ Accessible, quality content‣ Keyword research and targeting‣ Link building‣ Social‣ Measure & optimise
24. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 24
25. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 25Accessible, Quality Content‣ Machine readable & accessible to the visually impaired‣ Unique (don’t duplicate content)‣ SEO friendly coding – proper use of meta information and HTML tags‣ Logical site architecture – every page is a potential landing page‣ Search friendly URL structures‣ Submit sitemap.xml to search engines and keep it up to date‣ Proper use of Robots.txt
26. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 26Keyword Research and Targeting‣ What would you search for?‣ What would your customers search for?‣ What would your customers really search for?
27. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 27Keyword Research and Targeting GOOGLE KEYWORD TOOL Use alongside Google’s traffic estimator to find new ideas and their potential.
28. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 28Keyword Research and TargetingGOOGLETRENDSFormerly “Insights forSearch” you cancompare the trendsover time andcapitalise on upcomingtrends.
29. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 29 Keyword Research and TargetingCOMPETITORRESEARCHFinding out thekeywords, structure &descriptions that acompetitor uses & theirbacklinks can helpprovide ideas.
30. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 30Keyword Research and Targeting
31. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 31Link Building#1 EASIEST thing to do is to list your site on major directories like:‣Yellow Pages‣True Local‣Google Places/Local/Merchant‣Hot Frog‣Gumtree‣eBay (make a store)‣Whereis‣Local Buzz‣Many more!
32. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 32Link BuildingOther more long term, however easy, solutions include‣Formally requesting links from people – Scalability: Low, Quality: High‣Competitive research – Scalability: Low, Quality: ModerateMore advanced techniques:‣Linkbait/viral campaigns‣Content/technology licensing‣Partnerships, exchanges & trades‣Paid links
33. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 33Social Media for SEOGreat qualified, consistent links will help SEO:‣Facebook‣Twitter‣Google plus‣Youtube‣Wikipedia (be very careful & only if relevant)‣Much more!Social media can be part of your content strategy
34. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATIONTOOLSMaking your life easier, taking out the guesswork.
35. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 35Measuring Tools‣ Google Analytics (or other website analytics packages)‣ Google Webmaster Tools‣ Bing Webmaster Toolbox‣ Open Site Explorer‣ Wordstream‣ SEOMoz (in particular their Rank Tracker)‣ SEOBook (in particular their Rank Checker)‣ WebPosition‣ Raven Tools SERP Tracker
36. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 36Learning ToolsWebsites:‣SEOMoz.org‣GoogleWebmasterCentral.Blogspot.com‣SearchEngineLand.comBooks‣Basic - Search Engine Optimization For Dummies‣Advanced - The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization
37. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 37Absolutely Must Have Tools‣ Yourself – plan ahead, know your products, stay diligent & learn‣ Excel – any spreadsheet application will do
38. SEO, SEM, SocialSEARCHENGINEMARKETINGBest Practices and Campaign Tools
39. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 39WHY?‣ Relevance‣ Return on Investment (ROI)‣ ReachHOWEVER… you can only build good search campaigns for things that people are searching for!
44. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 44AdWords Ad Formats: Text Sitelinks - Up to 6x 35 Chars Headline – 25 Characters Display URL – 35 Characters Description 1 – 35 Characters Description 2 – 35 Characters
45. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 45AdWords Ad Formats: Banner
46. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 46AdWords AuctionAd Rank = Max CPC x Quality ScoreCPC = Ad Rank of Competitor Below / Your QS + 1c
47. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 47AdWords AuctionAd Rank = Max CPC x Quality Score
48. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 48AdWords AuctionAd Rank = Max CPC x Quality Score
49. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETINGBESTPRACTICESHow to get the most bang for your buck!
50. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 50AdWords Best Practices‣ Tightly structure your Campaigns & AdGroups‣ Do extensive keyword research‣ Use all match types‣ Use negatives heavily‣ Focus on highly relevant creative‣ Constantly be testing your ads‣ Use all applicable Ad Extensions‣ Track conversions & optimise towards them
53. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 53Keyword Research and Targeting GOOGLE KEYWORD TOOL Use alongside Google’s traffic estimator to find new ideas and their potential.
54. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 54Keyword Research and TargetingGOOGLETRENDSFormerly “Insights forSearch” you cancompare the trendsover time andcapitalise on upcomingtrends.
55. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 55 Keyword Research and TargetingCOMPETITORRESEARCHFinding out thekeywords, structure &descriptions that acompetitor uses & theirbacklinks can helpprovide ideas.
56. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 56 Keyword Research and TargetingSEARCHTERMREPORTSFind out what searchterms your keywordsare being matched toby Google.
57. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 57Keyword Match TypesThe keyword “used book” can match to the following search termsdepending on its match type:
58. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 58Negative KeywordsIf you have a negative keyword "college" then the phrase"used college book" will not trigger your broad keyword"used book”.Search term reports are very useful for discoveringnegatives (“free” is the most common one).
59. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 59Highly Targeted Ads
60. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 60Writing Quality Ads‣ Use up the allotted characters (get your money’s worth)‣ Add in sensible punctuation‣ Sell your product‣ Think of your audience‣ Attention grabbing titles‣ Call to action‣ Include keywords (preferably in headline)‣ Benefit driven ads‣ TEST, TEST, TEST‣ AND TEST SOME MORE
61. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 61Test Your Ads!
62. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 62Ad Extensions‣ Display a map with your business location(s)‣ Show product images, titles and prices‣ Link to additional pages within your site‣ List a click-to-call phone number‣ Connect your Google+ page to your ad‣ Include your business’ seller ratings‣ Collect Email addresses
63. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 63Conversion TrackingUsing Google Conversion Tracking tags or Google Analytics Tags you cantrack directly from within AdWords.Third party conversion tracking and bid management tools are alsoavailable such as Adobe AdLens (formerly Efficient Frontier), DART Searchor Marin.You should optimise your bidding based on an ROI or CPA basis.
64. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETINGTOOLSHow to get the most bang for your buck!
65. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION 65Measuring Tools‣ AdWords Editor – Desktop client for AdWords‣ Bid Management: Adobe AdLens, Marin, DART, Kenshoo, Wordstream‣ Website Analytics: Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics, WebTrends‣ Web Industry Tools: Hitwise, SEO Toolbar‣ Keyword Research: Wordstream, Keyword Spy, Wordtracker, SEMRush
67. SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING 67Absolutely Must Have Tools‣ Yourself – plan ahead, know your products, stay diligent & learn‣ Excel – any spreadsheet application will do
68. SEO, SEM, SocialSOCIALMEDIAMARKETINGBest Practices and Campaign Tools
69. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 69Why Social Media for Business?‣ Social proof – savvy consumers expect it‣ Humanise your brand – no marketing speak!‣ Build influence sphere – networking and credibility‣ Your competitors are there‣ Your audience are using it‣ Google is watching – helps your SEO‣ Great brand exposure – serendipitous discovery‣ Next generation of word of mouth marketing‣ High quality links back to your site – helps SEO‣ Opens up conversation – hear your audience and act!
70. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETINGBESTPRACTICESUnderstanding what works!
71. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 71Social Media Content‣ Content is king!‣ Engagement is key – photos, videos, conversation work well‣ Define your goals‣ Track your performance (engagement, growth & sales)‣ Use the different platforms appropriately‣ Develop a content plan and stick to it (spreadsheets are useful)‣ Develop a listening strategy and stick to it‣ Develop a style and stick to it - don’t use “marketing speak”‣ K.I.S.S‣ Assess, reassess and put what you learn into action
72. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 72Social Media Advertising Facebook is where it is almost all at for the moment. In some cases LinkedIn and StumbleUpon work well. Twitter is expensive.
73. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 73Facebook Advertising‣ Click through rate is everything‣ Promoted posts work best‣ Best promoted posts are photos, videos‣ Segmentation is essential – use Power Editor‣ Link back to website – use short URLs with tracking‣ Give special deals‣ Generate conversation‣ Must make sense with content strategy
74. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 74Promoted Posts
75. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 75Audience Segmentation
76. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 82Links within Posts ‣ Wherever possible link back to the website ‣ Shorten URLs with services like bit.ly ‣ Put tracking code within your URLs
77. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 83Advertising Content‣ Do not use “marketing speak” for promoted posts‣ Give special deals to your fans (literally short for fanatics, these guys are disciples)‣ Generate conversation (e.g. ask questions, this will give you a higher EdgeRank)‣ Must make sense with content strategy
78. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETINGTOOLSMaking your life easier!
79. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 85Content Tools‣ Social Management: Hootsuite, TweetDeck, Seesmic, BufferApp‣ URL Shortners: bit.ly, ow.ly, goo.gl‣ Image Tools: Photoshop, GIMP, Instagram‣ Video Tools:YouTube,Vimeo, iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere‣ Apps: Involver, ShortStack‣ Planning: Google Spreadsheet, Excel‣ Content Discovery: Google Alerts, Google Reader, Twitter Search/Lists
80. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 86Measurement Tools‣ Ranking – Klout, Twitalyzer, PeerIndex, Kred‣ Impact – TweetReach, SocialMention, HowSociable‣ Performance – Facebook Analytics, URL shortners, web analytics, NutshellMail‣ Search – Twitter Search, Topsy, Google (Google Alerts)‣ Finding Influencers – Twello,
81. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 87Advertising Tools‣ Facebook Power Editor‣ Adobe AdLens‣ Ignite Social‣ Qwaya‣ Social Ads Tool‣ Clickable
82. SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING 88Absolutely Must Have Tools‣ Yourself – plan ahead, know your products, stay diligent & learn‣ Excel – any spreadsheet application will do
83. SEO, SEM, SOCIAL 89Q&A
84. SEO, SEM, SOCIAL 90THANKS!Feel free to contact me with further questions.E: firstname.lastname@example.orgT: @lukefreemanW: lukes.me