Search-Friendly Web Development @ Ruby|Web Conference 2010Presentation Transcript
comScore July 2010 Rankings
65.8% 2.3% Bing Ask
“Many of the so-called SEO
professionals are not much more than
modern snake oil salesmen. They
game and manipulate the system for
their own intentions.”
“SEO is not a legitimate form of
marketing. It should not be
undertaken by people with brains or
“I'm not an SEO expert, but [it]
seems like SEO is something spam
sites do. If you are trying to create a
high quality destination site, just
write good content and let Google
do its job.”
- Sachin Agarwal, CEO Posterous
“Let FastCGI do its job”.
On average, 40% of
trafﬁc comes from
“Not my audience!”
“Experts” Not Needed
• User-Centric Design
• Test-Driven Development
• DRY and Maintainable Code
• Server Performance
• Client-Side Performance
• Search Engine Considerations
Six Simple Rules
• Can’t outsmart Google (or Bing or Y!)
• Follow Google’s advice
• Obey conventions and standards
• Stay away from hacks
• Think like a search engine
• Think like a searcher
• Write it by hand, stick it in public/
• Build a controller, action, and route
entry to respond to ‘sitemap.xml’. Use
XML Builder to generate the entries.
• Importantly: Strive for 100% coverage.
• Exclusion rather than inclusion
Be nice to the crawler
• Be performant. Fast server response.
Fast page load. Compress ﬁles. Use if-
• Non-www vs. www - pick one.
• Ensure unique content. Use <link
Don’t sabotage it
• Don’t use a 302 redirect when you
mean a 301 redirect.
• Make sure images, video, Flash,
Silverlight, and AJAX are accessible.
• See the Google Webmaster Central
Blog for details.
• Account for crawlers with region-
• Most important element to search
• Think long and hard about it
• Keywords! Think like a searcher.
• Best format: Page Title | Site Name
• Override to_param for pretty URLs.
• Dashes are word separators,
underscores are not. Use dashes.
• International domains are treated as
• <meta name=”description”
• Make it unique for every page. Use
• Shown to users, doesn’t affect ranking.
• <meta name=”tags” ... /> is
Headings and Content
• <h> tags should be used appropriately.
• Page content should match what the
<title> and <h> tags refer to.
• Limit use of text-indent:-9999px
and display:none in CSS.
• Microformats, RDFa, Microdata
• Google Webmaster Tools
• Bing Webmaster Tools
• Yahoo! Site Explorer
• Think like a searcher
• Optimize your <title>s
• Use Google Webmaster Tools
• Read the Google Webmaster Blog