“Many of the so-called SEO
professionals are not much more than
modern snake oil salesmen. They
game and manipulate the system for
their own intentions.”
“SEO is not a legitimate form of
marketing. It should not be
undertaken by people with brains or
“I'm not an SEO expert, but [it]
seems like SEO is something spam
sites do. If you are trying to create a
high quality destination site, just
write good content and let Google
do its job.”
- Sachin Agarwal, CEO Posterous
• Write it by hand, stick it in public/
• Build a controller, action, and route
entry to respond to ‘sitemap.xml’. Use
XML Builder to generate the entries.
• Importantly: Strive for 100% coverage.
• Exclusion rather than inclusion
Be nice to the crawler
• Be performant. Fast server response.
Fast page load. Compress ﬁles. Use if-
• Non-www vs. www - pick one.
• Ensure unique content. Use <link
Don’t sabotage it
• Don’t use a 302 redirect when you
mean a 301 redirect.
• Make sure images, video, Flash,
Silverlight, and AJAX are accessible.
• See the Google Webmaster Central
Blog for details.
• Account for crawlers with region-