“I literally can’t stand the advertising/
marketing/SEO people. They’re
making money where there is none,
simply because they’re immoral f&@$
who are capable of badgering people
just to make a little ching. They’re
paying overseas workers crap wages
to do technical work that is immoral if
not illegal, and they do it simply to
“I'm not an SEO expert, but [it]
seems like SEO is something spam
sites do. If you are trying to create a
high quality destination site, just
write good content and let Google
do its job.”
- Sachin Agarwal, CEO Posterous
• Write it by hand, stick it in public/
• Build a controller, action, and route
entry to respond to ‘sitemap.xml’. Use
XML Builder to generate the entries.
• Importantly: Strive for 100% coverage.
• Exclusion rather than inclusion
Be nice to the crawler
• Be performant. Fast server response.
Fast page load. Compress ﬁles. Use if-
• Non-www vs. www - pick one.
• Ensure unique content. Use <link
Don’t sabotage it
• Don’t use a 302 redirect when you
mean a 301 redirect.
• Make sure images, video, Flash,
Silverlight, and AJAX are accessible.
• See the Google Webmaster Central
Blog for details.
• Don’t change content based on region.
• Don’t require cookies to view content.
• Most important element to search
• Think long and hard about it
• Keywords! Think like a searcher.
• Best format: Page Title | Site Name
• ProTip: Append &pws=0 for testing in
• Override to_param for pretty URLs.
• Dashes are word separators,
underscores are not. Use dashes.
• International domains are treated as
• <meta name=”description”
• Make it unique for every page. Use
• Shown to users, doesn’t affect ranking.
• <meta name=”tags” ... /> is
Headings and Content
• <h> tags should be used appropriately.
• Page content should match what the
<title> and <h> tags refer to.
• Avoid text-indent:-9999px and
display:none in CSS.