On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
“I literally can’t stand the advertising/
marketing/SEO people. They’re
making money where there is none,
simply because they’re immoral
fucktards who are capable of
badgering people just to make a little
ching. They’re paying overseas
workers crap wages to do technical
work that is immoral if not illegal, and
they do it simply to make money.”
“I'm not an SEO expert, but [it]
seems like SEO is something spam
sites do. If you are trying to create a
high quality destination site, just
write good content and let Google
do its job.”
- Sachin Agarwal, CEO Posterous
“Let FastCGI do its job”.
On average, 40% of
trafﬁc comes from
“Not my audience!”
“Experts” Not Needed
• User-Centric Design
• Test-Driven Development
• DRY and Maintainable Code
• Server Performance
• Client-Side Performance
• Search Engine Considerations
Six Simple Rules
• Can’t outsmart Google (or Bing or Y!)
• Follow Google’s advice
• Obey conventions and standards
• Stay away from hacks
• Think like a search engine
• Think like a searcher
• Write it by hand, stick it in public/
• Build a controller, action, and route
entry to respond to ‘sitemap.xml’. Use
XML Builder to generate the entries.
• Importantly: Strive for 100% coverage.
• Exclusion rather than inclusion
Be nice to the crawler
• Be performant. Fast server response.
Fast page load. Compress ﬁles. Use if-
• Non-www vs. www - pick one.
• Ensure unique content. Use <link
Don’t sabotage it
• Don’t use a 302 redirect when you
mean a 301 redirect.
• Make sure images, video, Flash,
Silverlight, and AJAX are accessible.
• See the Google Webmaster Central
Blog for details.
• Don’t change content based on region.
• Don’t require cookies to view content.
• Most important element to search
• Think long and hard about it
• Keywords! Think like a searcher.
• Best format: Page Title | Site Name
• ProTip: Append &pws=0 for testing in
• Override to_param for pretty URLs.
• Dashes are word separators,
underscores are not. Use dashes.
• International domains are treated as
• <meta name=”description”
• Make it unique for every page. Use
• Shown to users, doesn’t affect ranking.
• <meta name=”tags” ... /> is
Headings and Content
• <h> tags should be used appropriately.
• Page content should match what the
<title> and <h> tags refer to.
• Avoid text-indent:-9999px CSS.
• Watch out for content hijackers.
• Google Webmaster Tools
• Bing Webmaster Tools
• Yahoo! Site Explorer
• Think like a searcher
• Optimize your <title>s
• Use Google Webmaster Tools