Quiz about English Speaking Countries Final (Form 5-9) English Week Kehtna Basic School 13-20 February 2012 Created by Evelyn Kurg
Please write 30 numbers on the sheet of paper provided. Do not forget to write your name. You have 30 seconds for viewing each slide and writing an answer. You get 0.5 point for the correct answer which is written in Estonian, so try to write only in English. GOOD LUCK!
1. How many years has Elizabeth II already been on the throne? She was 25 years old when her father, George VI died and she instantly became the Queen. Queen Victoria II holds the record for the longest time of reign which is 63 years.
2. What is the name of this animal in the photo. It lives in Australia.
3. The Houses of Parliament in the UK have 650 MP’s. What does a MP mean?
4. How many different countries is the United Kingdom made up of?
5. New Zealand is washed by the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Where is the Tasman Sea? (write one of the 4 main cardinal points)
6. What is the British flag commonly known/called?
7. The world’s time zones are fixed by a line which starts in London. It is called ________ Meridian. GMT+2 is for Estonia. Write the missing word.
10. It is the largest in the world. It is 2,600 km long. It is located in the Coral Sea, off the coast of Queensland in north-east Australia. What is its full name ?
11. You can see some British authors and their books. Match the numbers and letters. <ul><li>William Shakespeare A) Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone </li></ul><ul><li>George Orwell B) Jane Eyre </li></ul><ul><li>Charlotte Bronte C) Julius Caesar </li></ul><ul><li>J.K Rowling D) Animal Farm </li></ul>
12. What sport do they play? You will get another point if you know what is their national team called.
13. Which tree is the national tree both in England and Wales?
14. Who are the native or indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand?
15. The Romans who had landed South England noticed the white cliffs of Dover. They named the land “ Albion ”. What does the word mean?
16. If you left Wales by ship and sailed west across the St George’s Channel which country would you come to?
17. What vegetable is a Jack-’O-lantern made of?
18. What statue/monument does the fragment of this hand and torch belong to?
19. He was born in Wales. He has played in such films as the Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Red Dragon, The Wolfman, The Mask of Zorro, Dracula and many, many more. Write his name.