1. Think: What word in sentence “B” replaces a word in sentence “A”? 1. A. Dena’s mom cuts vegetables with a sharp knife. B. She is a great cook. 2. A. George sold a ceramic gnome at the Swap Meet. B. He made five dollars! 3. A. Diego’s answer to the math problem was wrong. B. The teacher gave him a second chance to get it right. What part of speech are the words she, he, and him?
2. Words that take the place of nouns are calledFor example, Kirsten and Evelyn are having lunch. They are best friends.
3. Grammar Lesson 12Objectives:You will be able to… * define and identify singular and plural pronouns * use singular and plural pronouns correctly in writing and speaking.
4. Review Singular Singular Plural Plural Nouns Pronouns Nouns Pronouns table chairs it they principal Mrs. she Provencio we and I boy he children them One More than oneThe It is broken. table is broken. The chairs are new. They are brandbrand new.The She wants to see you. you. principal wants to see Mrs. Provencio and We have a meeting. I have a meeting.The He caught an enormous fish. boy caught an enormous fish. Give the lunch tickets to the them. children.
5. Which plural pronoun correctlyThey went to camp last summer. replaces the highlighted noun? The girls wrote to us. They We wrote to the girls. ThemMy friend and I told them about our soccer team. We UsDid you send letters to the girls? YouThe girls were happy to get them. They arrived every Monday.They just got a letter from them.
6. ClosureOn your slate…• Write 2 sentences: One sentence will have a singular pronoun the other sentence will have a plural pronoun.• Trade your sentences with a partner.• Your partner circle or underline the pronouns you used.