1. The Middle Ages to the Renaissance <ul><li>a paradigm shift </li></ul>
2. PARADIGM SHIFT <ul><li>noun: a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions. </li></ul>
3. What is the subject matter of this piece from the Medieval Period?
6. Renaissance Art <ul><li>During the Renaissance, the focus of art changed dramatically. </li></ul>
9. CONCLUSIONS <ul><li>After examining the artwork, what paradigm shift do you believe occurred from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance? </li></ul>
10. NOTES <ul><li>During the Middle Ages, European artists painted in a way that emphasized religious images and symbolism rather than realism. Most paintings depicted scenes of holy figures and people important in the Christian religion. Even the most talented painters of the Middle Ages paid little attention to making humans and animals look lifelike, creating natural looking landscapes, or creating a sense of depth and space in their paintings. </li></ul>