Thank you all for coming and welcome to today's social media presentation. I'm Loretta Smith, Senior Account Representative with the Social Media Magic Ad Agency.
Today I will talk a little bit about the history of Social Media, and how it exploded into the social media madness that we all know and love. I will talk about what social media is and how it has impacted business in general and the Gaming Technology Industry. I will also explain the various ways using social media can benefit NW Technologies Finally, I will briefly go over Social Media Marketing and how to begin using it with a purpose.
The true beginning of Social Media was in 1971 when the first email was sent. (Bellis). Since that time social media has come a very long way. The very first true social media platform was the Computerized Bulletin Board System, introduced in 1978. A CBBS allowed “users to dial in with a modem, review messages left by others, and leave their own message if they wanted. Bulletin boards are still a particularly good place to find free or inexpensive software products. In the United States alone, there are tens of thousands of BBS ” (What). The evolution continued and before long there were sites like Geocities.com, sixdegrees.com, and friendster.com. All of these site had their own angle on social networking, but they all had one thing in common, they connected users with one another. This caught on quickly, and then came Facebook, Twitter, and literally, a Social Media explosion!
Once social media sites started to catch on, there was no stopping the phenomenon. Nowadays there's a social network for just about everything; chatting with friends, learning about products and services, building relationships for business and personal reasons, sharing videos and photos, and so much more. The icons you see in the slide each represent a social networking site, and these are just the tip of the iceberg One American Studies article covering the impact of social media on society pointed out the fact that “Web based social networking services make it possible to connect people who share interests and activities across political, economic, and geographic borders”(Cristian). This fact alone makes social networks very powerful.
The best way to answer the question, “What is social media?” is to first define media in general. The simple definition of media is a communication channel, for example, newspapers, radio stations,and Television are all types of media. Social media is simply a social form of communication. One very basic example of social media that we may have encountered are comment cards. Some restaurants still have comment cards on their counter for customers to provide feedback on products and services they encountered while patronizing the business. This type of media allows interaction between customers and the owner of the business. It also provides a channel for businesses to learn what their customer's wants and needs are in regard that company, and to find out what customers think about current products and services offered by the company. Social Media is a major opportunity to be a part of this evolution.
Now thanks to the Internet, a new form of Social Media has been introduced: Web 2.0. Web 2.0 allows a similar but much more powerful form of Interaction between companies and consumers. Web 2.0 allows businesses to interact with their customers, and customers to interact with one another in a “public” place. Well is there anywhere more public than the Internet? This provides the opportunity build a positive reputation for the brand, and helps to increase brand recognition.
Social Media has had an overwhelming effect on Businesses worldwide. Social Media has given both consumers and businesses alike a new outlook on issues like customer experience, customer service, and most significantly, customer opinion. With 50% of all adults using social networking sites, (Madden), there is no better way to communicate with consumers than via these sites. Social Media has also had a major impact on the gaming technology industry. Now there are social networks specifically for gamers. Sites like meetagamer.com, gamernook.com, and gamerdna.com cater to the very target audience NW Technologies, and other companies in the IT industry target.
Among the most attractive benefits of using social media marketing is the price. Social media marketing is much more cost effective than traditional marketing methods. Social media also provides a channel with with NW can Pitch Products in a more human, interactive way Social Media also helps Increase Customer Loyalty and Trust NW can also use Social media to listen to customer opinion Social provides an easy, cost effective way to conduct market Research Strengthen Customer Service Keep and Eye on the Competition
Companies that are not using social networks, and social marketing are letting money fly right out of the window. With social networks specifically designed for gamers, the possibilities are endless. NW Tech can utilize social media to increase market share, simplify brand management, increase brand recognition, and so much more. The SMM Ad Agency has the knowledge to guide NW Technologies into the future of marketing, and customer service via the social network.
By Choosing The Social Media Magic Ad Agency, you will be gaining a wealth of experience, and knowledge in the area of social media. The SMM Ad Agency will teach your marketing department how to utilize social media channels to increase brand recognition, promote products and services, gain feedback from customers and potential customers, which can help you create products consumers want, and so much more. NW Tech can then identify what the purpose of your social media campaign is, set goals which will help fulfill this purpose. And Finally be consistent in your Social Media marketing efforts.
These are my sources which I sited in my presentation.
1. Northwestern Technologies Social Media: Get in on the Conversation
2. Agenda <ul><li>A Brief History of Social Media and the Explosion
3. What is Social Media?
4. How Social Media Has Impacted Business and the IT Industry
5. Social Media Benefits for NW Technologies
6. Social Media Marketing
7. Where to Begin with Social Media </li></ul>
8. A Brief History of Social Media <ul><li>The Email – 1971 </li></ul><ul><li>The First Computerized Bulletin Board System
9. Social Networking Mania: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Geocities.com
13. Facebook.com </li></ul></ul>
14. The Social Media Explosion
15. What is Social Media? <ul><li>A Social Communications Channel
16. Business/Consumer Interaction
17. An Opportunity </li></ul>
18. What is Social Media? <ul><li>Web 2.0
19. Customer Interaction
20. Build Relationships </li></ul>
21. How Social Media Has Impacted Business and the IT Industry <ul><li>New Business Outlook
22. Customer Experience
23. Customer Service
24. Customer Opinion </li></ul><ul><li>50% of all adults use social networks
25. Gaming Social Networks </li></ul>
26. Social Media Benefits for NW Technologies <ul><li>Cost Effective
27. Pitch Products in a more human, interactive way
28. Increase Customer Loyalty and Trust
29. Liston to Customer Opinion
30. Conduct Market Research
31. Strengthen Customer Service
32. Keep and Eye on the Competition </li></ul>
33. Social Media Marketing <ul><li>Avoid Lost Profits </li></ul><ul><li>Increase Market Share
34. Simplify Brand Management
35. Increase Brand Management
36. Drive more Traffic to NW Technologies Corporate Website </li></ul>
37. Where to Begin with Social Media <ul><li>Hire Social Media Magic Ad Agency
38. Set Goals for Social media Campaign
39. Be consistent </li></ul>
40. Conclusion <ul><li>In conclusion, NW Technologies can start utilizing the benefits of social media immediately by creating an action plan, and get in the conversation.
41. Thank you, and I look forward to helping NW Technologies excel in the Social Media Arena </li></ul>