Why Participate in Social Networking?
• Experience serendipitous connections
• Collaborate with others who share your passion
• Engage directly with the experts
• Contribute to the sum of all knowledge
• Drive awareness of your initiative
• Advance a cause
• It's the new resume
The Light Side of Social Networking
in the marketplace:
A win for you & the
company. “If it doesn't
kill you, it'll make
Do's and Don'ts
>Be informative & entertaining
>Respond to comments
>Engage in others' conversations
>Link to others' conversations
>Be aware postings are immediately syndicated via feed readers
> Be contrived
> Sell your soul to ads
> Steal content: Sharing is good, but get approval & cite your source
> Delete comments that you may not agree with, politely counter them with
> Use too many widgets
> Feel compelled to use every tool out there
Getting Started – Step One
What do you want to share & how?
> Professional only?
> Personal only? What depth?
> A mix of both?
> Drive awareness?
> Join existing community?
> Nurture a new community?
• Which tool best aligns with the above?
> Company community site?
> Non company site?
> What functionality best meets your objective (blog, micro-blog, wiki, forum, etc.)
Getting Started – Step Two
IF you decide to use corporate community sites...
...know the laws of the land!
Fully read and understand Sun's Guidelines on Public Discourse:
• Quick read
• Conversational in tone
• It'll help keep you and the company out of trouble
Getting Started – Step Three
Get going! Simply start.
• Sun's Guidelines on Public Discourse:
• Sun Social Networking wiki space:
• Sun external facing communities & “how to” resources
> Blogs: http://blogs.sun.com http://wikis.sun.com/display/SunBlogs/Home
> Wikis: http://wikis.sun.com http://wikis.sun.com/display/Help/Getting+Started
> Forums: http://forums.sun.com http://wikis.sun.com/display/SunBlogs/Home
> File hosting: http://mediacast.sun.com http://wikis.sun.com/display/mediacast/Home
> Feed aggregation: http://planets.sun.com https://wikis.sun.com/display/SunPlanets/Home
> Video sharing: http://channelsun.sun.com
> Sun on Twitter: http://wikis.sun.com/display/twitter
> Community types: http://www.sun.com/resourcesfor/index.jsp
Guess which cool tech
company is mentioned
in every one?
• Keep your posts short. Writers's block usually happens when people
are trying to be too complex. Long posts are fine too – just don't let
one long, imperfect post bump you out of your goove.
• Join in on other people's conversations. Add new and valuable
information. Extend the conversation, but don't try to control it.
• Participate in social media meet-ups. Visit upcoming.org to find
events, get out there often.
• Don't push out to communities, but integrate into communities. Get
close, immerse yourself, listen, and be transformed.
• Cross-pollinate your participation. Post a link to your blog from your
Twitter profile & vice versa, etc.
• Social tools enable easy connections to experts more than ever
before – take advantage of this opportunity to mentor or be mentored.
Pro tip: Find a mentor who's not already in your corner. You'll learn
• Session Q&A
• How to reach me after the session
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.