Theme # 1: Location
• Answers the question where is
• We could answer this question in two
• Absolute Location: A specific latitude
• Relative Location: Explaining where
something is located in relationship to
an already known location.
• A specific latitude and longitude.
• What is the absolute location of San
• 34°N, 118°W
• What can we predict about cities found
on the same line of latitude?
• Often have similar climate.
• Explaining where something is at in
relationship to an already known
• Must include distance (blocks, miles,
inches) and direction (North, South,
• Give a relative location of San
• 60 miles east of Los Angeles.
Theme # 2: Place
• Place answers the question: What
is life like there?
• Physical characteristics: Things
from the earth that are not man
• Human characteristics: Things
made by humans.
Theme # 3: Human
• This theme refers to changes
humans have made the physical
• Positive: Form cities,
Agriculture, Running water
• Negative: Pollution, Littering,
Deforestation, Global warming
Theme # 4: Movement
• Theme involves the movement of
people, goods, and ideas from one
location to another.
• How are goods moved?
• Ships, planes, trains, automobiles.
• How are ideas moved?
• Internet, books, phone, television.
Theme # 5: Regions
• Region refers to how the earth is
• Uniform Regions: A region that shares a
uniform characteristic. They have
something in common.
• Examples: Religion, Currency,
• Political Regions: Region which has
boundaries determined by a