On the Spot! Impromptu Speaking 101
Patrick Barton - Speech Professor - Lone Star College-Cyfair
Email: Patrick.S.Barton(S)lonestar.edu - Phone: 281-290-3473
Attention Getting Device (AGD) » > Tell a story
What's In It For Me (WIIFM) Statement » > Why should the audience care?
Thesis » > A single, simple sentence that sums up your entire speech
Preview of Main Points (POMP) » > Summarize what you're going to talk about
Main Point » >
Simple, short, full sentence summarizing
Answers the question "Why is my thesis true?"
After creating the sentence, create a one-word tag for transitioning
• Transitions » > moves you between main points
• Review of Main Points (ROMP) » > Summarizes what you talked about
Closer > » A finishing line that closes off your speech
1. First your thesis
2. Second your WIIFM
3. Third your Main Points and Supporting Material
4. Fourth your AGD and Closer
5. Fifth your POMP/ROMP/Transitions
6. Finally, put it back in order!