1. eBooks &Digital Downloads“everything you everwanted to know, but wereafraid to ask”Dorrie Scott ● Reference Librarian ● LSC-CyFair
2. What is an eBook or DigitalDownload?  eBook - a digital file that you read on a computer or mobile device  eAudio, Movies, & Music - digital files you listen to or watch on a computer or mobile device
3. Types of Digital Files Used withDigital Downloads  eBook  eAudio • EPUB • WMA • PDF • MP3 It was a • Kindle  Movies dark and • WMV stormy video night…  Music • WMA music
4. Compatible Computers& Mobile Devices  Windows PC  Apple Mac  BlackBerry  iPad/iPhone/iPod  Kindle  Nook  Sony Reader  various other tablets, eReaders, MP3 players  List of other compatible devices http://www.overdrive.com/ resources/drc/Default.aspx? type=ebook  NOTE: each device is compatible with select file types
5. Who Can Read/Download eBooks?  LSCS students, faculty, a nd staff with a LSCS ID/library card  HCPLpublic customers with a HCPL library card
6. When Can I Access the eBookCollection? NOW!
7. Where Can I View the eBookSources? HCPL.net  LoneStar.edu http://hcpl.lib.overdrive • LSCS Libraries - Library .com/ Research Databases • E-Books & Audio Books http://www.lonestar EBSCO eBooks .edu/library/15176.htm http://lscsproxy.lonestar. edu/login?url=http://se arch.ebscohost.com/lo gin.asp?profile=ehost& defaultdb=nlebk
8. Harris County Public Library Digital Media Catalog LSC-CyFair, LSC-Tomball, or HCPL library card requiredTitles in the HCPL digital catalog are not available for online viewing. Theymust be downloaded to a computer or mobile device. Many titles can betransferred from a computer to a mobile device The Digital Catalog contains approximately 14,000 individual titles, including: • eBooks • eAudio • Music • Video New titles are added every month. Mobile platform available for searching Mobile app available for direct downloads
9. EBSCO eBook Collection LSCS or HCPL library card requiredEBSCO eBooks titles are available for online viewing, and many can bedownloaded to a computer then transferred to a mobile device. Formerly NetLibrary LSCS has approximately 26,500 e-books with the majority available from EBSCO. New titles are added every month. Most titles allow one user at a time, though a few titles allow three users. Mobile platform available Mobile app available for searching only
10. Gale Virtual Reference Library Requires an LSCS ID/library cardGVRL is available for online viewing only. No downloads.  Includes full-text, searchable reference sets in such areas as literature, business, education, ga me programming, and social sciences.
11. Safari Tech Books Online LSC-CyFair, LSC-Tomball, or HCPL library card required Safari is available for online viewing only. No downloads. Electronic reference library for computer users, programmers, and IT professionals. NOTE: 5 simultaneous user limit
12. STAT!Ref (Healthcare) Requires an LSCS ID/library cardSTAT!Ref is available for online viewing only. No downloads.  An electronic medical library that enables users to cross-search more than 35 medical resources.  Mobile platform available
13. Encyclopedia of Popular Music  Requires an LSCS ID/library card EPM is available for online viewing only. No downloads. via Oxford Music Online Features articles on popular music genres such as jazz, country, folk, rap, reggae, tec hno, musicals, and world music from 1900 to the present. Also includes information on trends, styles, record labels, venues, and music festivals.
14. Naxos Music Library Requires an LSCS ID/library cardNaxos music is available for online viewing/listening only. Music is notavailable for download.  75,000+ tracks plus related text information about the musical works.  Classical, jazz, world/folk, new age, and Chinese music  NOTE: requires Windows Media Player version 9 or later  Limit of 25 simultaneous users for this resource.  Mobile app available
15. Help with Downloading &Transferring Files LSC-CyFair eBooks & Digital  HCPL Digital Media Catlog Download Tutorial • Support/eBook Help http://www.lonestar.edu/ • OverDrive – MyHelp library/15767.htm • OverDrive – Getting Started Dorrie Scott email@example.com  EBSCO eBooks 832-482-1023 • Help LRNC 108
16. References Text Images Michael Saperstein  EBSCO eBook Collection http://lscsproxy.lonestar.edu/login?url=http://search. Multimedia Selection Librarian ebscohost.com/login.asp?profile=ehost&defaultdb= nlebk Harris County Public Library  Harris County Digital Media Library Dorrie Scott http://hcpl.lib.overdrive.com/ Reference Librarian  IconArchive Harris County Public Library http://www.iconarchive.com/ Lone Star College–CyFair Branch  Lone Star College System Carol Steinmetz Director of Automated Library  psdGraphics Services http://www.psdgraphics.com/ Lone Star College System  Stock.XCHNG http://www.sxc.hu/
17. For questions orcomments, please contact…Dorrie ScottReference LibrarianHarris County Public LibraryLone Star College–CyFair Branch832firstname.lastname@example.org://www.lonestar.edu/blogs/doroscott