Transcript of "ProQuest Congressional Universe & Insight"
Universe & Legislative Insight
March 18, 2014
What is it?
◦ ProQuest Legislative Insight provides:
access to compiled federal legislative histories
that are available from 1836 to the present;
documents are available in PDF format; and
comprehensive coverage is attempted but is
not always available because some documents
How Do I Search Insight?
Insight can be searched via:
◦ Citation which includes Public Law
number, Statutes at Large citation, or
enacted bill number; and
Documents Needed for a
A compiled legislative history requires
a researcher to examine:
◦ House and Senate reports;
◦ House and Senate hearings;
◦ Congressional Debate published in the
◦ Committee prints; and
◦ Presidential Signings.
Not only does ProQuest Legislative
Insight provide the researcher with the
PDF format of relevant documents, it
also provides historical context into
which the legislation can be placed.
Universe: How Does It Differ
from Insight? While Insight provides access to compiled
legislative histories from 1836 to the
present, Congressional Universe provides
◦ compiled legislative histories;
◦ non-compiled legislative histories; and
◦ congressional hearings, reports, debate, and bills
that were not enacted into law.
As an example, the Patient Protection
Affordable Care Act, because it was
enacted as law, can be found in Insight.
Hillarycare, never enacted, can be found as
bills, hearings, debate and reports in
Congressional hearings from 1824- 2003;
Congressional Committee prints from 1830 to the
Congressional Research Services (CRS) reports
from 1916 to the present;
Unpublished Congressional hearings from 1824
to the present; and
Congressional debate from 1789 to the present
◦ Annals of Congress (1789 – 1824)
◦ Register of Debates (1824 – 1937)
◦ Congressional Globe (1833-1873)
◦ Congressional Record (1873 – Present)
Universe also provides access to:
◦ member names and committees from
◦ federal regulations from both the Federal
Register and the Code of Federal
◦ political news from:
Washington Post from 1987 to the present;
Roll Call Newspaper from 1998 to the present;
CQ Political Transcripts from 1995 to the
How Do I Search Universe?
Universe can be searched by:
◦ Keyword that can be restricted by date or
◦ an index created by ProQuest; or
◦ citation of bill, Statutes at Large, Public
Law, or U.S.C.
Stop by the Reference Desk in the
Email the Reference Desk @
Email your librarian liaison;
Call the Reference Desk @ x 4020; or
Call your librarian liaison.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.