1. The Race! A simple story about a race , A mirror on business And perhaps something to AVOID doing &
2. Some time ago, a boat race was organized between two competing organizations. One was a Swiss company – let’s name it Cow Co. Ltd, and the other one was Sempuma from Malaysia
3. <ul><li>Both teams worked very hard to get to top level </li></ul><ul><li>When the day finally came where they could measure their strength, both were very optimistic </li></ul>
4. But the race was short and came to a surprising end , where the team from Malaysia won by more than one kilometer !!!
5. The morale was low at the Headquarters of Cow & Co in Switzerland. Nobody understood such a huge difference.
6. Top Management decided that the causes MUST be identified
7. A project team was set up, to identify the cause and to suggest corrective measures if needed
8. After weeks of discussions, the project team came to the following findings: <ul><li>The Malaysian team included seven rowing officers and one steering executive </li></ul><ul><li>In the Swiss team there was one single rowing officer and seven steering executives </li></ul>
9. The top Management reacted immediately and hired external Consultants to conduct an in-depth analysis on the Swiss team‘s structure
10. Some months and many 10‘000 Swiss Francs later, the Consultants came to following conclusion: <ul><li>Too many team-members had been steering </li></ul><ul><li>Too few of them had been involved in moving the boat </li></ul>
11. The Top Mangement reacted in a radical way and restructured the whole team as follows: <ul><li>... Four steering executives </li></ul><ul><li>… Two senior steering managers </li></ul><ul><li>… One steering directors </li></ul><ul><li>… One rowing officer </li></ul>
12. Additionally, they implemented a sophisticated Performance evaluation system to motivate the one rower . The top Management said : <ul><li>We must enrich his responsibilities to make his job more interesting and therefore get the best out of him </li></ul>
13. The next year came and a second race was organized <ul><li>The result was cruel. The Asian team won again This time by TWO Kilometers </li></ul>
14. The consequence of such a heavy blow:
15. <ul><li>The top management sacked the one rower because of bad performance !!! </li></ul><ul><li>The equipment was all sold and all new related investments were frozen </li></ul><ul><li>The Consultants were praised for doing a great job </li></ul><ul><li>The money that was not invested was distributed among the top management and the steering committee </li></ul>