1. Maya Angeloupoet, memoirist, novelist, educator, dramatist, producer, actress, historian, filmmaker, and civil rights activist
2. • Maya Angelou was born in 1928 in Missouri.• She won a scholarship to study dance and drama at San Franciscos Labor School.
3. Early years• She dropped out of school at the age of 14 to become San Franciscos first African American woman cable car conductor.• As a black woman, she faced racial discrimination and prejudices but she continued to follow her dreams.• She returned to high school to earn her diploma.
4. • In the 1950s Maya Angelou began traveling the world to study dance and write books.
5. • A friend encouraged Maya Angelou to write about her life experiences.• She has since written 6 autobiographies, several books of poetry and several screen writes.• Maya was the first African American woman to have her screenplay produced.
6. Awards• Maya Angelou has received many awards for her inspirational works.
7. Quotes• “Ive learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."• “If you dont like something, change it. If you cant change it, change your attitude. Dont complain.”• “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."• “No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.”• “All great achievements require time.”• “Ive learned that I still have a lot to learn."