Art Appreciation 2
Ajarn Dale Konstanz
Writing Assignment 2 – Modern Art Movement
Section 1: Due Wednesday, July 2 at the beginning of class
Section 2: Due Thursday, July 3 at the beginning of class
An art movement involves a group of artists that have similar objectives and goals in their art in
terms of style and / or concept. However, each individual artist within the movement has their own
unique style and approach, as well. The objective of this paper is to become more familiar with
one of the modern art movements, along with some of the artists associated with that movement.
Read the instructions carefully and follow the guidelines.
1. Choose one modern art movement that we focused on in class. This can include the following
Century movements: Fauvism, Expressionism, Cubism, Futurism, Suprematism,
Constuctivism, De Stijl, Dadaism, or Surrealism.
3. Write a 700 – 1000 word essay about one modern art movement. You should focus on the
overall style and the main characteristics of the art. You should also write about 3 artists
associated with that movement and briefly describe each artistʼs individual style. Include one
example of their art in your description (you will need to include an image of each artwork in your
4. This is a research paper. You will need to find at least three references for this paper. Include a
bibliography. Any information gleaned from research should involve the citation of references.
Any writing that is not your own will be considered plagiarism and will result in failure of this
5. The paper should be printed on white A4 paper. Use a readable font such as Arial,
Verdana, Helvetica or Tahoma. The text should be single-spaced and 10 or 11 pica.
6. Include three images of the artworks on separate pages (one from each artist that you discuss
in your paper). Each artwork should be labeled with the names of the artists, titles, dates,
dimensions, and mediums.
7. Include your name and student id number on the top right of each page. Staple the pages
8. Submit a hard copy of the paper directly to the instructor. Papers that are emailed will not
be accepted. Papers submitted late will be downgraded for each class session that it is
late. The paper must be competed to pass this course.