Technical Abilities.During the preliminary task I struggled at first with my lack oftechnical abilities, as I had little experience in using software thatwas crucial to the task – e.g. Photoshop CS3. I was able to usebasic skills on iPhoto after some practice, but other than that I wasunable to edit my photos effectively, especially as I found the numberof editing options confusing and daunting on Photoshop, but inhindsight I understand my photos could have appeared much moreprofessional if I had at least experimented with this editing software.When using Photoshop to produce and apply the desiredcomposition, I was again only able to use basic tools and skills onthe software but during the limited time available to do this smalltask, these basic skills were enough to make a decent magazinefront cover and contents page.
Research.With the time available to complete the preliminary task, we had littletime to fully prepare or do much (if any) research into the forms andconventions of other sixth form magazines. If I had done thisresearch I may have been able to produce a more professionallooking magazine.
Photos.For this task I only had one photo-shoot, which was within theschool. Although this setting was perfect for the purpose of a sixthform magazine, the photo’s available were fairly limited because ofvarious restrictions. Also, when creating my magazine I the photo’sare all similar because of the one setting and one photo-shoot, Iknew then that I had to do more separate photo-shoots in my maintask.I also lacked confidence with my photography abilities, as I againwasn’t sure on the kind of photos I wanted to take, this was alsobecause I didn’t give my photo-shoot much thought before hand.This also left my models confused as they weren’t sure what wasrequired of them.
Technical Abilities.During the main task, not only was I able to learn from previousmistakes that I’d made during the preliminary task, but I also hadmore time to experiment with the endless tools available in bothiPhoto and Photoshop. This allowed me to create a moreprofessional looking magazine as the final editing I chose and thefinal composition of the magazine had been carefully thought aboutand compared with other options available – to help me make thesefinal decisions, I created various surveys and questionnaires for mytarget audience. So, therefore, I am now confident that thismagazine is a significant improvement to the preliminary task, as Ifeel it would be reflected by my improved technical abilities.
Research.As I was given a much bigger time span to complete my main task, Iwas able to use the time given effectively to complete a considerableamount of research into other music magazines. This allowed me toconsider the forms and conventions of music magazines – and whichof these I would later conform to or challenge, the prices of othermagazines, the genres available – and which genre I would laterchoose for my own magazine, and how I could make my magazineappealing to my target audience. I feel this research has helped mesignificantly in the production process, as by then I had a very clearvision of how I wanted my magazine to be, and because of thissupporting research I was fairly confident that this vision wasappropriate and would be successful.
Photos.After learning from my mistakes in the preliminary task, for my maintask I did 3 photo-shoots of my cover star, 1 for my competition toNew York, 1 of a guitar on its own, and I also took photos from musicfestivals that I have attended. This allowed me to used pretty muchall of my own images throughout my magazine, taking only a fewfrom internet sources. I am extremely happy with the collection andvariation of photos that were available to use for my magazine, as itgave me more freedom in the production process. I also plannedeach of my photo shoots so my models were clearer, and this isconveyed in my photos.