Edinburgh is the Festival City. It’s where people come together to share their passion for arts, culture and ideas.
• 7th - 29th August 2009 Edinburgh Military Tattoo Festival.
• The Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival will take place between 31 July – 9
• The Edinburgh International Science Festival will take place between 4
- 18 April 2009.
• Edinburgh's Hogmanay will take place between 29 December 2009 and 1
• The Edinburgh International Festival will take place between the 14 August
and 6 September 2009.
• The Edinburgh International Science Festival will take place between 4 -
18 April 2009.
• The Scottish International Storytelling Festival will take place
between 23 October and 1 November 2009.
• The Edinburgh Festival Fringe will take place between 7 and 31
• The Edinburgh Art Festival will take place between 5 August – 5
• The Edinburgh International Book Festival will take place between
9 and 25 August 2009.
• The 2009 Mela Festival will take place between 7 - 9 August 2009.
Content of Festivals
The International Science Festival is the worlds ﬁrst and Europe’s largest public celebration of science and technology.
The Bank of Scotland is a Imaginative Festival is the UK’s largest and most exciting performing arts festival for children
and young people. It brings all performers from over the world and together entertain and inspire others.
Jazz and Blues Festival performs 100 shows and events such as gigs and big band sounds.
The Tattoo Festival and its unique blend of music, ceremony, entertainment and theatre,
The 2008 Edinburgh Festival Fringe is host to 31,000 performances, 2000 shows and 18,000 performers who will
entertain more than 1.5 million people in 250 venues across the city.
The Edinburgh International Book Festival is the largest festival of its kind, with over 600 world-class writers and
thinkers taking part in more than 800 events for all ages.
The Hogmany festival is known for its new years party and bring in about 100,000 people each year.
The Art Festival presents city’s galleries and museums and visual art spaces and more.
• The International Festival presents a rich program of classical music, theatre, opera and dance during a three week
period in late summer the Edinburgh International Festival is one of the most important cultural celebrations in the world.
• The The Festival brings together artists and audiences from Scotland and beyond in entertaining and inspiring lives.
• Festival is one of the worlds leading children’s festivals.
• Families and children also young people are welcome to all Edinburgh’s
Festivals. Every Festival has events that will appeal to children and young
adults. Some of the Festivals have entire programs devoted exclusively to
• Since January 2008 Festivals Edinburgh and The Audience Business
have been working in collaboration to develop a unique digital hub for
Edinburgh’s 12 major Festivals.
Saturday, 18 April 2009
What is its artistic policy and
how does this map to the content?
• To promote music and art and comedy and science.