What happens during photosynthesis? During photosynthesis, plants and other organisms use sunlight rays to convert carbon dioxide and water INTO oxygen and sugar called glucose.
During the first step of photosynthesis, the chloroplasts (which give plants their green color) capture the energy from the sunlight. In the second step, the cell uses the captured energy (ATP) to produce sugars in the form of glucose.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO MENTION THAT IN THE STAGE TWO THE CAPTURE LIGHT ENERGY , HYDROGEN AND CARBON DIOXYDE ARE USED TO PRODUCE SUGARS
WHERE DOES PHOTOSYNTHESIS OCCUR? Occurs in chloroplasts, organelles in certain plants All green plant parts have chloroplasts and carry out photosynthesis The leaves have the most chloroplasts The green color comes from chlorophyll in the chloroplasts The pigments absorb light energy
Chloroplasts of a plant cell photosynthesis happens in the leaves the chemical equation is 6 molecules of carbon dioxide + 6 molecules of water->sunlight-> resulting in 6 molecules of glucose + 6 molecules of glucose
1. THE SUN: MAIN SOURCE OFENERGY FOR LIFE ON EARTH
2. Light Energy along with carbon dioxideand water are the raw materials in the process of photosynthesis 6 CO2 + 6 H2O + light energy → C6H12O6 + 6 O2
3. Food Chain
4. Its not that easy being greenHaving to spend each day the color of the leavesWhen I think it could be nicer being red or yellow or goldOr something much more colorful like that… Kermit the Frog
5. THE COLOR OF LIGHT SEEN IS THE COLOR NOT ABSORBED• Chloroplasts absorb light Reflected energy and Light light convert it to chemical energy Absorbed light Transmitted Chloroplast light
6. AN OVERVIEW OF PHOTOSYNTHESIS• Photosynthesis is the process by which autotrophic organisms use light energy to make sugar and oxygen gas from carbon dioxide and water Carbon Water Glucose Oxygen dioxide gas PHOTOSYNTHESIS
7. • In most plants, photosynthesis occurs primarily in the leaves, in the chloroplasts• A chloroplast contains: – stroma, a fluid – grana, stacks of thylakoids• The thylakoids contain chlorophyll – Chlorophyll is the green pigment that captures light for photosynthesis
8. • The location and structure of chloroplasts Chloroplast LEAF CROSS SECTION MESOPHYLL CELL LEAF Mesophyll CHLOROPLAST Intermembrane space Outer membrane Granum Inner membrane Grana Stroma Thylakoid Stroma Thylakoid compartment
9. • A Photosynthesis Road Map Chloroplast Light StromaStack of NADP+thylakoids ADP +P Light Calvin reactions cycle Sugar used for • Cellular respiration • Cellulose • Starch • Other organic compounds
10. Its not thateasy beingreen… but itis essential forlife on earth!