Meeting Needs of human resources Recruitment is the process of attracting the best individuals to join the company on a timely basis in sufficient numbers and meeting the qualification requirements, thereby encouraging them to apply for the job in organization. The process starts as soon as the need for additional personnel is identified. It is ideally the result of good human resource planning. This process will thoroughly review and analyze the manpower requirements.
What are the Two Major Sources of Candidates to Fill the Vacant Positions?
The internal Source - These are the qualified candidates from the company and within the ranks of its present employees.
The External Source - the hiring from the outside source is a management option.
Methods of Human Resource Recruitment THE INTERNET JOB POSTING MOUTH SYSTEM ADVERTISING MEDIA WALK INS AND UNSOLICITED APPLICANTS CAMPUS OR UNIVESITY RECRUITMENT JOB FAIR AND OPEN HOUSE GOVERNMENT AGENCIES RADIO AND TELEVISION Different Methods of Human Resource Recruitment
What are the Different Methods of Human Resource Recruitment?
This is the process by which internal recruitment is accomplished.
The standard time for job posting is period of one week to two weeks.
Promoting or transferring employees from within offers the following advantages:
It creates an opening for a lower easy-to-fill position.
The morale of the employee is boosted.
Hidden talent may be uncovered and utilized.
It saves considerable time and money.
Employees are already familiar with company policy and the job itself and therefore less adjustment is necessary.
Some companies would not like to resort to job posting for the following reasons:
Super visors and managers want to promote someone from their department whom they have groomed for the position.
Some management members may be upset with employees who apply for jobs outside their department and tend to take such a move personally.
Losing an employee to job posting may mean having to wait for a replacement that may not be as good.
Some companies believe that it is better to bring new blood rather than recycle existing ones.
The success of job posting depends largely on how well it is designed and monitored. The following guidelines may help in its successful implementation:
The employee must have been with the company for at least one year and must be in the current position at least 6 months.
The employee must have a rating of Very Satisfactory before he can apply for the posted vacant position.
The employee can only apply for not more than three times in one year.
2. THE WORD-OF-MOUTH SYSTEM This method of recruitment is found to be effective in local situations. It is one of the least expensive recruitment systems. As soon as people learn that there’s a job opening, the word spread around. On the surface, word-of-mouth appears to be an ideal recruitment source. It is certainly an effective tool, but the following precautionary measures should be observed. A. Regionalism may dominate over the company employees. B. Pulling of strings and the ”padrino” system May prevail in the hiring of employees that discriminate against other applicants who may be more qualified.
3. ADVERTISING MEDIA One popular and often effective means of soliciting applicants is advertising it through the media, like newspapers, magazines, radio or television. Guidelines:
For special skills, the ad must clearly stipulate the skills required.
In scouting for talent, the wording of the ad should be specific.
3. For applicants who want to know all about specifics, the ad must contain the duties and responsibilities of the position. 4. Include the details where the applicants should send the resume’ or bio-data or where to apply personally if required. 5. Be direct and straightforward in wording the ad. 6. Avoid cute and unprofessional phrases as it may reflect on the image of the organization. 7. Hire an advertising agency if you are not sure of what to put in the ad. 8. For hiring of executive positions, the services of a consultancy agency may be employed.
What are blind ads? These are ads that do not reveal the identity of the company, instead they give a box number where the resume’ or pertinent papers will be forwarded. The following are the disadvantages:
There might be a limited number of applicants for the “hard to fill positions” where you want interested applicants to immediately get in touch with you.
Blind ads discourage some applicants to apply, as it may be the same company they are working with.
some applicants may have applied for the same position not too long ago and it is a waste of time.
4. WALKINS AND UNSOLICITED APPLICANTS These unsolicited applicants could be a possible source of outstanding employees. The following guidelines may be put into advantage for walk in or call in applicants:
Applications should be categorized into different skills or, qualifications.
A day of the week must be schedule for the interview of the applicants. Those who pass should be put in the active file for three months for future reference.
3. Unsolicited applications can also be reviewed with list of opening in mind.
5. CAMPUS OR UNIVERSITY RECRUITMENT Recent graduates are considered highly desirable for companies to select, groom and develop recruits from top schools in the country. 6. JOB FAIR AND OPEN HOUSE The job fair and open house are popularly increasing as recruitment sources. An advertisement announcing the location of the job fair is posted at least one week ahead of schedule to attract more applicants.
7. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES Some local government units have their placement offices look for possible employment for their constituents. 8. RADIO AND TELEVISION Radio and television are now used as mediums for manpower recruitment. While they have the advantage for job recruitment the following are some points to consider:
9. THE INTERNET The internet could become another source of employment opportunities. Company profiles and job placements could eventually come into the internet. The following advantage are:
Application letters or resume’ could immediately be sent to the company.
Immediate answer could be available through e-mail.
Other necessary information could be available from the applicants.
Immediate needs of the company on manpower requirements could be answer in short time.