Food and digestion
- Some food comes from animals, like milk.
- Other, comes from plants like fruit and
- We also need water and salt, that do not
come from plants or animals.
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
- Food gives us the substances we need to
grow and to stay healthy.
- We get energy to walk or study.
- Some food comes from animals like meat
- We classify food into five groups:
1.Grains gives us energy.
2.Vegetables give us vitamines.
3.Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
4.Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
5.Meat, fish and beans gives us proteins to
have strong muscles.
A HEALTHY DIET
- Our diet is made up of the things that we
eat and drink.
- We need to eat food from all the groups to
stay healthy, this is a balanced diet.
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WE
-The quantity of food we need depends on
how old we are and how much physical
exercise we do.
- When we are growing we need more of
some types of food. For example, we need
- If we do a lot of exercise, we need to eat
FOOD AND MEALS
-There are four meals that we eat during the
day: breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
- It is very important to have a good
-A good breakfast provides the nutrients that
people need to start their day off rigth.
-A good breakfast should have milk, cereals
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- The digestive system is made up of the
following organs: the mouth, oesophagus,
stomach, intestines and anus.
- Food enters our body through our mouth.
- Our oesophagus is a tube between our
mouth and stomach.
- Our stomach is like a bag.
- Our intestine is a long tube. It is made up
of two parts: small intestine and large
- At the end of the large intestine is the
THE STAGES OF DIGESTION
1. Digestion begins in the mouth:
- Our teeth cut and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
- Then food goes down to the oesophgus
and the stomach.
2. In the stomach:
- food is mixed with a liquid (gastric juices).
3. In the small intestine:
- the food is divided into the substances our
- All the useful parts of food go from the
small intestine into the blood.
4. Parts we cannot use:
- Go into the large intestine.
- They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.