FOOD AND DIGESTION.
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE .
- Food gives us the substances we need to
grow and stay healthy.
- We get energy to walk or study .
- Some food comes from animals, like meat
- Other, comes from plants, like fruit and
- We also need water and salt, that do not
come from plants or animals.
- We classify into five groups:
1. Grains gives us energy.
2. Vegetables gives us vitamines.
3. Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
4. Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
strong bones .
5. Meat, fish and beans, give us proteins to
have strong muscles.
A HEALTHY DIET
- Out diet is made up of the things that we
eat and drink.
- We need to eat food from all the groups to
stay healthy, this is a balanced diet
HOW MUCH FOOD
DO WE NEED?
-The quantity of food we need depends on
how old we are and how much physical
exercise we do.
- When we are growing we need more of
some types of food. For example, we need
milk because it has calcium.
FOOD AND MEALS
-There are four meals: breakfast, lunch, tea
and dinner .
- It is very important to have a good
breakfast. A good breakfast provides the
nutrients that people need to start their
day off right.
- If we do a lot of exercise, we need to eat
- A good breakfast should have milk,
cereals and fruit.
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
• The digestive system is made up of the
following organs: the mouth, oesophagus,
stomach, intestines and anus.
- Food enters our body through our mouth.
- Our oesophagus is a tube, between the
mouth and stomach.
- Our stomach is like a bag.
- Our intestine is a long tube. It is made up
of small intestine and large intestine.
- At the end of the large intestine is the
THE STANGE OF DIGESTION
- Digestion begins in the mouth. Our teeth
cut the food.
- Our tonge mixes the food with saliva.
- The food goes down
- In the stomach food is mixed with gastric
- In the small intestine the food is divided
into the subtances our body need.
- All the useful parts of the food go from the
small intestine to the blood.
- Parts we cannot use go into the large
- They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
- Digestion takes time (2 hours). We should
wait before we swim or run.