FOOD AND DIGESTION
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
- Food gives us the substances we need
to grow and to stay healthy.
- We get energy we need to walk or
- Some food come from animals.
- Others, come from plants, like fruit
- We also need water and salt, that do
not come from plants or animals.
- We classify food into five groups:
1. Grains give us energy.
2. Vegetables give us vitamins.
3. Fruit gives us vitamines.
4. Milk give us calcium to grow and
have strong bones.
5.Meat, fish and beans give us
proteins to have strong muscles.
A HEALTHY DIET
- Our diet is made up of the things that
we eat and drink.
- We need to eat food from all the
groups to stay healthy, this is a
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WE NEED?
- The quantity of food we need
depends on how old we are and how
much physical exercise we do.
- When we are growing we need more
of some types of food. We need milk.
- If we do a lot of exercise we need to
FOOD AND MEALS
- There are four meals that we eat
during the day: breakfast, lunch, tea
- It is very important to have a good
- A good breakfast provides the
nutrients to start the day.
- A good breakfast should have milk,
cereals and fruit
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
Is made up of the following organs:
The mouth, oesophagus, stomach,
intestines and anus.
Food enters our body through our
Our oesophagus is a tube between
our mouth and stomach
- Our stomach is like a bag.
- Our intestine is a long tube.
- At the end of the large intestine is the
THE STAGES OF DIGESTION
1.Digestion begins in the mouth .
- Our theeth catch and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
- Then the food goes down the
esophagus and into the stomach.
2. In the stomach food is mixed with
a liquid (gastric juice).
3. In the small intestine:
- the food is dividided into the
sustances our body need.
- all the useful parts of food go from
our small intestine into the blood.
4. Large intestine
Parts we cannot use go into the large
They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
Digestion takes time (about 2 hours)
So we need to wait before swimming