Food and digestion
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
• Food gives us the substances we need to
grow and to stay healthy.
• We get energy to walk or study.
• Some food comes from animals, like meat
• Others, come from plants like fruit and
• We also need water and salt that do not
come from plants or animals.
• We classify food into five groups:
• Grains give us energy.
• Vegetables give us vitamines.
- Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
- Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
- Meat, fish and beans give us proteins to
have strong muscles.
A HEALTHY DIET
- Our diet is made up of the things that we
eat and drink.
- We need to eat food from all the groups to
stay healthy, this is a balanced diet.
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WE
-The quantity of food we need depends on
how old we are and how much physical
exercise we do.
-When we are growing we need more of
some types of food. For example, we need
- If we do a lot of exercise, we need to eat
FOOD AND MEALS
-There are four meals that we eat during the
day: breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
- It is very important to have a good
- A good breakfast provides the nutrients
that people need to start their day off
- A good breakfast should have milk,
cereals and fruit.
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
-The digestive system is made up of the
the mouth, oesophagus, stomach,
intestines and anus.
THE DIGESTIVE SISTEM
- Food enters our body through our mouth.
- Our oesophagus is a tube between our
mouth and stomach.
- Our stomach is like a bag.
- Our intestine is a long tube. It is made up
of small intestine and large intestine.
- At the end of the large intestine is the
THE STAGES OF DIGESTION
- Digestion begins in the mouth.
- Our teeth cut and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
-Then food goes down the oesophagus.
-In the stomach food is mixed with gastric
-In the small intestine, the food is divided
Into the substances our body needs.
-All the useful parts of our food go from our
small intestine into the blood.
- Parts we can not use go into the large
- They are transformed into faeces and
expelled though the anus.
- Digestion takes time (2hours). We should
wait before we swim or run.