Information & Resources
A Trauma-Informed Human Rights
Perspectice at UB SSW
Trauma-Informed Care: Listen
Sandra L. Bloom, M.D., co-creator of the Sanctuary Model,
discusses a trauma-informed approach to treatment and
systems change. Dr. Bloom describes the paradigm shift
needed to understand the psychobiology of trauma and
its impact on recovery from mental illness.
Questions to Consider
• How does a Trauma-informed Care
perspective related to Empowerment Theory?
• Using a systems perspective, what paths for
intervention might a trauma-informed
perspective suggest for survivors of trauma?
• Is Dr. Mollica’s approach to care consistent
with a Trauma-informed Approach?
• Harris, M. & Fallot, R. D. (2001). Envisioning a trauma-
informed service system: A vital paradigm shift. New
Directions for Mental Health Services, 89, 3-22.
• Episode 10 - Dr. Sandra Bloom: The Sanctuary Model: A
Trauma-Informed Approach to Treatment and Services.
(2008, December 29). inSocialWork Podcast Series.
[Audio Podcast] Retrieved from
WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE’S LIVES.