Do the words "shocked" and"electrocuted" mean the same thing? No. Someone can be shocked by electricity and survive. But when wesay someone has been electrocuted, it means they have been killed by electricity.
When Outdoors• When doing any sort of yard work, always look up and be aware of the location of any power lines.• Do not attempt to prune any vegetation growing near or on any overhead power line. Only specially-trained line-clearing professionals should work around power lines.
When Outdoors• After a storm, when there is any chance of downed power lines, stay clear of all standing water.
Indoors• During any home remodeling projects, make sure only qualified electricians work to ensure new outlets and wiring are up to code.
IndoorsCords• Make sure cords are out of traffic areas and that furniture is not resting on them. In addition, make sure cords are • in good condition • not frayed or cracked and • never nailed or stapled to the wall and other objects
IndoorsPlugs• Plugs should • fit securely • never be forced into an outlet if they dont and • be the proper type. • Never cut off the ground pin (the third prong) from a plug. Use a two-prong adapter instead.
IndoorsThree Pronged PlugsThe third prongprovides a pathto ground alongwhich the electriccurrent travels.
IndoorsOutlets• Check outlets for • loose-fitting plugs • broken wall plates and • overloaded situations. • Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.
IndoorsOverloaded receptacles.Avoid overloading areceptacle or anelectrical circuit. Firescan occur whenoverloaded wiresbecome hot. Mostreceptacles are designedfor two plugs only.
IndoorsOctopus WiringPlugging moreappliances on thesame outlet
IndoorsOctopus wiring couldlead to burning ofinsulation. Withoutprotective insulation,bare wires couldtouch against eachother, resulting towhat is known asshort circuit.
IndoorsShort circuitis a dangeroustype of circuitcharacterized byvery high currentdue to very lowresistance.
IndoorsLight bulbs• Check bulbs to be sure they are • screwed in securely and • the correct wattage for the fixture. • Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended.
IndoorsCircuit breakers / fuses• Circuit breakers and fuses should always be the correct size for the circuit. Never replace a fuse with anything but the correct size fuse. If you dont know the correct size fuse, have an electrician identify and label the sizes to be used.
IndoorsFuse - When an overloador short circuit occurs, ahigh heat generated meltsthe strip, opening thecircuit, shutting off thecurrent and preventingfire.
IndoorsCircuit Breaker - When anoverload or short circuitoccurs, a spring-loadedlever pressed against acontact point is pulledaway by an electromagnetto shut down or break thecircuit.
IndoorsGround fault circuitinterrupters (GFCIs)• GFCIs (or GFIs) should be used in any area where water and electricity may come into contact. Test GFCIs regularly according to the manufacturers instructions.
IndoorsWater and electricity dont mix• Dont place any electrical appliance near water, such as a sink or bathtub. Appliances that are used near water should be unplugged when not in use. If you have an appliance that has gotten wet, unplug it and dont use it until it has been checked by a qualified repairperson.
IndoorsEntertainment / computerequipment• Check to see that the equipment is in good condition and working properly; look for cracks or damage in wiring, plugs, cords and connectors.
IndoorsElectrical Emergencies• If an emergency does occur,Outdoor (high voltage) electricity• Contact the police and emergency medical services.• Do NOT touch the person.• Do NOT try to use a tool to free the person.
IndoorsIndoor (low-voltage/100 Volts) electricity• Contact emergency medical services.• Dont touch anyone who is in contact with an energized circuit.• Switch off power at the fuse or circuit- breaker box, or pull the plug.• Call the electric company if you cannot get the power shut off.
Why dont birds that sit on power linesget electric shock as do human beings?Birds do not getelectrified if they do nottouch more than onewire. However, if a birdtouches two wires at thesame time, it creates anew path for electricityto travel down, so thebird is toast.