Presentation On Science Express (Biodiversity Special) By : Ankita Bharti Roll No : 005 Batch: 2012-14
CONTENTS:• Introduction• Journey So Far• Aims and Objectives• Indian Biodiversity >Terrain >Climate >Flora &Fauna• Areas Of Concern• Steps suggested
Introduction:Science express-Biodiversity Special :A unique mobile exhibition mountedon 16 A.C coach train.• Traveling across India from 5 June-22 December 2012• A collaborative initiative of Deptt. Of Science and Technology (DST) & Ministry Of Environment & Forests (MoEF’s), Government of India.
Journey So Far :• Flagged on 30th Oct 2007• Covered 68,000 km in its journey• Has Evolved through 4 phases• Has 63.60 lakh visitors• 220 halts with in 801 days of exhibition• It is now the longest , largest and most visited Mobile exhibition in India
Aims & Objectives:• To showcase wide array of biodiversity• Conservation measures adopted and should be adopted• Showcases aspects of Climate change• Water & Energy conservation• Also has hands on lab & also teacher’s training
Indian Biodiversity:• It is very broad and varied• Extending from Northern Himalayas to the Southern Plains diverse variety is found.• The variety is found in all terrains, flora ,fauna and climate.
(a) Climatic diversity• Northern Region: It is the Trans-Himalayan region .• It is the only region having both desert and arctic conditions.• It has snow clad mountains ,seasonal marsh lands.• High altitude lakes are characteristc
• Temperature ranges about -50 degree celcius• To preserve the flora and fauna here there are 2 national parks• 3 wildlife sanctuaries and 1 biosphere.• Bhabar Tarai region is also located here.• Vegetation here is like pine , deodar etc.
• Tropical Rainforests: Lies in the southern region (Kerala) and the Eastern region (the Seven sisters)• This region is of high humidity• Vegetation here is like trees supporting orchids, fungi, vines etc.• Organisms here are like monkeys , squirrels ,snakes etc
• Gangetic Plains: It is the region across the Ganges River• Spreading the entire stretch of Punjab , Haryana ,U.P, Bihar.• Land best for cultivation and agricultural purposes• Main crops wheat ,pulses like gram, peas etc, jowar.
• Desert and Semi desert: The region extends from Rajasthan to some extends of Gujarat specially Kachch.• The vegetation here mostly includes cactus, Babul , watermelon etc.• Fauna here consists of Camels, Vultures , Eagles , Jackals etc
• The Deccan Region: This includes the entire stretch of Central India, some portion of South East India, and South west India.• The vegetation here is like Thorn scrubs , Acacia• The fauna here includes Black buck, Great Indian Bustard etc.
(b) Variation in Flora & Fauna• About 155 sacred plants are found in the Himalayan terrain.• This includes plants like Rudraksha, Deodar etc.• There are 32 variations of Lemon are found in India• Even medicinal plants like Ginseng, Taxus vallichina etc
• Varied agricultural practices according to terrain.• Step farming is mostly practiced in hilly region.• Mixed cropping, crop sowing, Agro forestry is practiced in forest region and the plains.• Rotational cropping is mostly practiced in Deccan terrain
• The other agricultural practices followed are root spreading, apricot grafting.• Different species of animals are found through the entire stretch of Indian Terrain• Alligator, crane, Black Bustard, Snow leopard etc are some of the major species .
Areas Of Concern:• Endangered species: There are certain species of both flora and fauna which are highly endangered.• Plant species of huge medicinal values are endangered or are on verge of extinction• Many animal species like Tiger, snow leopard, vultures etc constitute the group of endangered species.
• Uncontrolled and unplanned exploitation of conventional resources.• Unplanned and unstructured development• Ignorance of Sustainable development• Lack Of awareness
Measures Taken:• Numerous conservation park has been set up• Many Biological parks, biospheres, wildlife centuries has been established.• Special projects has been running to protect endangered species
• Many rehabilitation parks have also been set up like to Alligator regeneration in chambal river• Dudhwa National park is a bioreserve is a reserve designed in such a way kept aloof from any human activity.