Transcript of "Web Quality in the Age of Big Content"
Web Quality in the Ageof Big Content Presented by Steven Fay Phone: 301-526-5108 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org April 10, 2013 Prepared for DC Web Women
Today’s Agenda• What is Big Content?• What matters on the web (Think of the Destination): • Content, Visual Design & Information Architecture • Can they find it? - SEO • How does it work? - Usability • Does it work for everyone? - Accessibility• Tools and Technology• Exploring sites using technology
WHAT IS BIG CONTENT? The Age of BIG CONTENT According to Craig Roth of the Gartner Group: “Big Content is a term that helps highlight the subset of Big Data related to the less-structured side of it. Big Content isn’t new or different than Big Data; rather it helps focus on uses of Big Data for unstructured information for the kind of folks that think the Library of Congress is filled with ‘content’, not ‘data.’” Search 2.0 in the Enterprise: Moving Beyond "Single Shot" Relevancy Last Updated Feb 2009 By Mark Bennett, New Idea Engineering, Inc. - Volume 3 Number 3 - Spring 2006
BIG CONTENT, DISTRIBUTED PUBLISHING and LOCALIZATION Usability CodeSite integrity Section Editorial 508 Spelling/ Privacy Dialect SEOLegal EU Cookies LawsMobile Data Web WCAG Protection Social 2.0 Media
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEBThink of the Destination Visual Design
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination Content
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination Information Architecture
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination SEO
IMPORTANCE OF SEO Impact: According to a study conducted by Optify in December 2010, the top three natural (unpaid) positions on page one of Google search results receive 58.4 percent of all user visits, or clicks. For websites that appear on the second page, the number drops to only 1.5 percent.
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATIONCommon Errors: What to Do: Underutilized Keywords IA, Site Map, Taxonomy Irrelevant Content Know your keywords Missing or Poor Titles, Tags or Metadata Fresh Content Slow Download Speeds Engage Customers Little Time Spent on Sites Use Metadata Broken Links Optimize Site for Web and Mobile Page Duplication Create Linking Strategies back to your content Clean up site
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination Usability
IMPORTANCE OF USABILITY Impact: In a highly crowded landscape companies who deliver a great user experience can seize competitive advantage. A Forrester SATISFIED UNSATISFIED survey of 60 website improvement projects USERS USERS shows how usability enhancements translate to clear commercial returns People are able to find the information they seek on a website only 40% of the time. The other 60% leave the website unsatisfied. Research by User Interface Engineering, Inc.
USABILITYCommon Errors: What to Do: Too Much Content per Page Clean and Simple Difficult Navigation Remember it is a web site and not a Redirects term paper (headings and visual) Long Download Times Use traditional navigation unless you Broken Links have non-traditional site Inconsistent Structure or Language Consistency Browser or Mobile Compatibility Issues Test Analyze Optimize for Web and Mobile Clean up your site
WHAT MATTERS ON THE WEB Think of the Destination Accessibility
IMPORTANCE OF ACCESSABILITY Impact: On February 7, 2006, Target Corporation received a lawsuit concerning the inaccessibility of its web site. NFB and Target settled the lawsuit on August 27, 2008 for $6,000,000 plus additional damages and a stringent ongoing monitoring to ensure The gray dollar – 1 in 5 mature users (over 61) have sight problems. If your site is not continued accessibility. Since then, Target has accessible to all users, potential customers made efforts to make its site accessible to may go elsewhere! people who use assistive technologies.
ACCESSIBILITYCommon Errors: What to Do: Not compliant with latest Section 508 Read up on Section 508 for US andor WCAG regulations WCAG - A, AA, AAA guidelines Alt Tags, Page Titles and Headers not Always Tag for Accessibilitypopulated Test with readers or Non-descriptive Link Text Contact a consultant Deprecated Tags/Coding Factor in budget and time into Blinking Images/Text redesign plans
COMMON ERRORS ON LIVE SITESTechnologyUsability PrototypingWeb Quality CheckersAccessibility ToolsEnterprise Governance Platforms