A proposed platform to resolve Chinese translation
problems on Mozilla
• There are Simplified / Traditional Chinese l10n
– Simplified Chinese is used by Mainland China and
Singapore / Malaysia
– Traditional Chinese is used by Taiwan / Hong Kong /
• Simplified <-> Traditional: A lot of terms differences, but
similar in speaking
• Taiwan <-> Hong Kong: Almost the same except some of the
• Traditional Chinese teams are focus on Taiwan
• Hong Kong users will get a quot;foreignquot; Firefox
– zh-TW Firefox is full with Taiwan websites
• zh-HK l10n team is formed but not approved
as of May 2009 (Bug 486686)
• The current problem: There are no efficient
ways to cooperate Chinese Teams!
• ONE language project for all types of Chinese
• Two types for conversion:
– Characters (Traditional/Simplified)
– Local Terms (China/Taiwan/Hong Kong &
Macau/Singapore & Malaysia)
• Local Terms even included a lot of popular culture
terms (like Harry Potter Terms http://bit.ly/VjhGn)
Simplified+ Traditional+ Simplified+ Tradiaional+
Raw Simp. Trad. China HK/Macau Ma/Sg Taiwan
My MoZH propose
So Littlebtc's MoZH is?
• A metaproject for Chinese projects
– Maintained by zh-CN, zh-TW, zh-HK l10n teams
• An integrated translation platform
– Terms comparison table
zh-TW l10ner adds a string…
Auto suggests for 2 other locales!
• The system will still handle 3~4 locales
• But when a translation adds a string, it will be
converted and auto-suggested for all other
• Locales should have their patches easily
stored in this system!
Benefits of MoZH
• Save all's time:
– Now, Traditional / Simplified Chinese translation
are not cooperated
– If cooperation and auto-suggest are built, the
translation will be much faster!
• Make all Chinese l10n teams focus more on
local User experience
• Make every Chinese Computer users have a
quot;Localquot; Mozilla product
Diffculty of MoZH
• Can we cooperate all of the Chinese l10n
• The translation cooperation system will be a
very hard work. Is it worthy enough to build
• What role will Mozilla China act as?
– (Ouch, no more political issues, please)
• Will Mozilla accept this idea?