Ukrainian Association of Students' Self-government presentation
OF STUDENTS’ SELF-GOVERNMENT
Independent national union of
students of Ukraine
Member of the European
What is UASS?
UASS is an independent and democratic national union of
students. On the voluntary basis UASS unites local students’
unions, students NGOs, and other students organizations, which
work in the higher educational institutions, and other active
students in order to protect their rights and represent Ukrainian
students on the national and international level.
UASS is a heritor of the Ukrainian Association for the
Development of the Students’ Self-government, which was
established in 1999.
• Legislation development;
• Social protection of students;
• Improvement of quality of education;
• Students movement development;
• International cooperation.
• Development of students opinions and policies
regarding local, regional and national legislation;
• Monitoring of the legislation initiatives and giving
students opinions on them;
• Development of the legislation proposals regarding
working areas of UASS;
• Managing projects and campaigns for students rights;
• Provision of consultancy to students and students
unions on students rights and ways for their
• Monitoring of the state of students scholarships,
documents, and other rights fulfillment;
Social protection of students:
• Supporting implementation of Bologna process action
line in Ukraine;
• Lobbying for students participation in decision
making in higher education management and quality
• Consulting students and students organizations on
Improvement of quality of higher
• Monitoring and consultancy on the implementation of
the changes to the Law of Ukraine “On Higher
Education” regarding students unions;
• Educating students representatives through holding
• Experts and trainers support of local students union
through the respectful pool.
Students’ unions development
• Management of the joint projects with the National
Unions of Students in Europe;
• Support of the development of the students movement
in Belarus through the work in the Belarus working
group of the European Students Union;
• Participation in the formation of the European students
policies through the European Students Union.
• UASS is a member of the European Students Union since
• In 2010-2012 UASS participated in the civil campaign "Youth
guard: youth is watching you!";
• In 2010-2014 UASS was the member of the national civic
coalition “Against Degradation of Education!”;
• UASS is a member of the National Youth Council of Ukraine.
Membership of UASS in umbrella
MEMBERS OF UASS
Representing 1,6 million of students
UASS member unions are students unions, their
associations, and other students organizations that on the
democratic basis represent interests of students and are
controlled by students only . Who work in the name of
the students’ rights protection and development of the
students-centered higher education system in Ukraine.
UASS has 39 local city branches that coordinate work of
UASS member unions on the local level.
Who are the members of UASS?
Students representatives in the
Lobby campaign of UASS in
2004, which resulted in the act of
the Cabinet of Ministers of
Ukraine which included students
unions to the higher educational
intuitions scholarship committees.
Students discounts for the railway
In 2005 UASS had a successful
campaign and students from private
HEI have received the same
discounts as students of the state
HEI. Later on in 2007 UASS held a
campaign against the distraction of
the discounts for the summer time,
which has reached its goal.
Stop the "enslavement" of students
In 2005 Ukrainian Parliament has made a decision that
students who receive state scholarships should work for
three years after their graduation at the place decided
by government. UASS held a campaign which made
president to veto this decision.
Increase of students’ scholarships
In 2007 before the Parliament elections UASS demanded
from the political parties to clarify their position on students
issues. Only one party did it, and agreed to make a reality
proposed by UASS students priorities. It resulted in the
increasement of the students scholarships in 4 times.
Campaign against the acts of the
Cabinet of Ministers
In 2009 and 2010 Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine has
adopted acts that were putting more financial pressure on
students, such as an act on the introduction of the extra
administrative fees for students, decrease of the state
funding and etc. Campaign held by UASS has resulted in
the abolition of these acts.
Adoption of the “students” law
Since 2003 UASS has been
working on the changes to the Law
“On Higher Education” of
Ukraine, regarding students self-
government organizations. The
changes text was made by the
students and other NUSes. UASS
was guiding this draft through 7
years path. The changes were
adopted by the Ukrainian
Parliament, and signed by the
president on January, 19 2010.
Adoption of the Law of Ukraine “On
On July 1, 2014 the Parliament of Ukraine adopted the new Law “On Higher
Education”, which was developed by the working group, chaired by Michael
Zgurovsky, Rector of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute. Development and adoption of
the law was advocated by the national civic campaign “Against Degradation of
Education!”, which was implemented by the coalition of UASS, civic movement
“Vidsich”, student labor union “Direct Action”, and youth NGO “Foundation of
Regional Initiatives”. Moreover, leaders of UASS participated in the work of the
group on the development of the text of the bill.
Follow us on Twitter:
UASS on the web:
Official web-site: www.uass.org.ua
Hope to see you soon again!