View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
About Lisa Myers
• Director & Founder, Verve Search
(Search Consultancy – SEO, PPC & Online PR/Social Media)
• Regular speaker at SES, SMX, A4U, IAB, B2B Events
• Regular contributor to on and offline publications
• Heavily involved in the global Search Community, founded
SEO-chicks.com and also blogs for newly founded European search blog
• Management Today “35 women under 35” list 2009
• “Best Use of Technology woman under 30”
BlackBerry Woman & Technology Awards (2008)
• “B2B Marketing Newcomer of the Year” (2007)
Social Media 101
What does Social Media actually mean?
“Social Media is an umbrella term that defines the
various activities that integrate: technology, social
interaction and the construction of words, pictures,
audio and video.”
• Blogging became main stream and a
serious marketing tool in 2006
• There are over 200,000,000 blogs (yep
that‟s 200 MILLION)
• Of which 54% post content or tweet daily
• 34% of bloggers post opinion on products
Blogging – the opportunity
• Give your product/services a personable voice
• Develop a positive online reputation
• Expansion of content, reaching a wider audience
It‟s not as easy as setting up and go...
Before you start
• What is going to be the main topics of the
• Who is going to be blogging (source
• Who is going to be managing the blog?
• Find the right blogger(s) with a personality
• Use Wordpress
• Current Favourite Plugins:
- All in one SEO Pack
- Post avatar (unless not part of design)
- Vodpod (easy way of incorporating videos)
• When doing Social Media, ALWAYS keep
SEO in mind.
The Linkerati is also the Socialrati
“Social” Internet Population
• A piece of digital content specifically
created to boost link equity to a domain,
thus also contributing to increased ranking
• The link baiting content has to be on the
domain you are wanting to increase link
• Generated Over 100,000 links
• BUT NO On Page SEO!
SEO Wars – “Fun Campaign”
Generated <100 links with
Anchor text “SEO Wars”
+ buzz and recognition
• Usually larger campaigns but does not
mean it has to cost loads of money
• Viral campaign usually appeal to a broader
range of people (thus spreading quicker
and to a wider audience)
Absolutely Completely Must Be
Good creative/idea + solid execution
elements for a Viral is CRUCIAL to success!
All the tweeting, digging, stumbling and buzz
building in the world will NOT work if the
idea is rubbish!!
Top Twitter Tips
• Don‟t over think it, be personable.
• Share information, links.
• Use #hastags to organise and search
• Twitterlists are useful if you are following
hundreds. Also to discover new people.
• If Facebook was a country it would be the
4th largest in the world
• More than 400 million active users
• 50% of users log on every day
• 35% of users update their status each day
• Over 3 billion photos uploaded each month
Facebook Fan Page
• Pages are indexed by external search engines such as Google
• You can add a vanity URL for fan pages
• Integrate twitter and blog feeds
• Member statistics (demographics)
• You can‟t send a message to all members, only send „updates‟
which user behaviour denotes no one really pays attention to
• You do not get post notifications (if someone writes on the wall you
do not know meaning the opportunity for communication is missed)
• Can‟t send bulk invites to people (asking them to join)
• Allows you to send out “bulk invites”
• Can send direct messages to all members
• Ability to pre-approve members before they can join
• Not indexed by search engines
• Lose message feature if group grows bigger than 5,000 member
• Cant sync with blogs or twitter posts
• No vanity URLs
• YouTube is fast evolving into a search
engine with its very own algorithm (2nd
biggest search engine out there)
• Algorithm includes allot of similarities to
the search engines;
- Content optimisation
- Links => which increases views etc
City Inn Advent Calendar
• Generated the equivalent of 50% of their
average monthly traffic
• Increased email database considerably
• Significant visibility and reach through
• Twitter followers increased by 300%
When you get to know your neighbour you are likely to
talk about something trivial like the weather. You don’t
go straight into personal details!
If it‟s too good to believe, it probably is.
• There are so many stats out there that
makes Social Media sound like the best
thing since sliced bread.
• The social media tidal wave is here, just
don‟t get swept away.
• Think before you go! And trust your
Online Way of Speaking –
in the Real World
“You are such a boring speaker ”
Follow on twitter via #sessocial
Video will be posted on stateofsearch.com