View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Dynamic Duos, Innovative Teams
ILLiad International 2014
Lisa Carlucci Thomas
“If a person, place, or thing is
energetic and active, then it's dynamic.”
“When things are dynamic, there's a lot going on.”
“When things are dynamic,
changes and energy are in the air.”
• “Dynamic Duo was the alliterative name given
to Batman and Robin in the 60s television
series starring Adam West and Burt Ward.
Duo means a pair, and dynamic means
energetic or action-oriented. ” (Yahoo Answers)
• “A very special pair of people or things.”
• What makes a duo “dynamic?”
• How can these relationships enhance our
work on a micro or macro level?
• Each information
exchange, transaction, interaction is a creative
• Service Duo
– One (experienced/knowledgeable/skilled) partner
provides a service to another
– Transfer of information or expertise to meet the
need of the partner; may be peers
– One partner gains, but the other doesn’t lose
– Example: Internal customers, Library/Faculty
• Collaborative Duo
– Both partners have equal information,
share/combine to create new information
– Both partners gain
– Examples: Peer/Peer, Library/Faculty,
• Level-Up Duo
– One partner has more authority, power, status,
experience, prestige, etc
– One partner learns from, apprentices, increases
knowledge from the duo
– Both partners gain
– Examples: Mentor/ Mentee, Faculty/Student
• Are there other types of dynamic duos?
• Identifying Duos
– Informs interactions
– Helps you keep creative channels open
– Consider what you can learn/create in your duos
• Duos are greater than the sum of the parts
• Not all duos last forever (many don’t)
• Duos are the heart of networked relationships
We could expand and enhance these
creative, energetic connections?
“A graphical representation of one person’s network neighborhood on Facebook.”
Networks: Concrete or Abstract
• “Networks can be abstract or concrete and humans have the
perceptual ability, as it were, to morph between the two.”
• “A traveler looks down at a crossroads marked on the abstract
network of a map and then up at the signpost that establishes
it as the same crossroads in a concrete network of roads.”
Abstract Networks: “describe what is supposed
or proposed to exist” = “what’s in your head”
Concrete Networks: “what exists” = actual, IRL
The Internet and Pets
Small World: Watts/Strogatz
• “Embedded” ties signal: closeness, many
mutual friends, time together, interactions
• “The key structural feature used in these
analyses is the notion of embeddedness —
the number of mutual friends two people
share, a quantity that typically increases with
“Certain important types of strong
ties … connect us to people who
belong to multiple parts of our social
neighborhood, producing a set of
shared friends that is not simply
large but also diverse…” #dispersion
• Who’s your Dynamic Duo?
– At work?
– At Professional Events?
• How do these duos and networks facilitate
the development of new INNOVATIVE ideas?
– Tipping Point?