On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
FREDERICK DOUGLASS:FEBRUARY 17, 1818 – FEBRUARY 20, 1895)• Frederick Douglass was born into slavery. Douglass eventually escaped slavery and worked with William Lloyd Garrison.
• He had learned to read and write while in captivity so he was able to use those skills to help show how slavery was not like the southerners made it sound.
• He also worked with the Anti-Slavery Society. Frederick Douglass wrote for the Liberator. He wrote articles and made speeches against slavery.
• He also published and autobiography, The Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave. The autobiography was published in 1845.
He moved to Rochester, New York, andbegan publishing a newspaper, the North Star.
• Douglass continued to fight for the freedom of slaves. Frederick Douglass died in 1882 after a long illness. His voice continued to be heard long after his death.
One of the most important Black Americans in the history of the country was Frederick Douglass.
HARRIET BEECHER STOWE AND UNCLE TOM’S CABIN 1852
Harriet Beecher Stowe was a woman whowas born in Connecticut and grew up in a large religious family.
In Cincinnati she met fugitive slaves and she learned about the horrors of slavery in the south. She wanted to prove that slavery was wrong.
To prove that slavery was wrong, she published a book called Uncle Tom’s Cabin. The book was about an old slave named Tom.
In the book Tom was separated from his wife andbought and sold three times, his last owner beat him to death. The book was published in 1852.
This book had a very high influence toward antislavery. Uncle Tom’s Cabin made southerners very mad but the northerners liked the book. Over 2 million copies were sold in just ten years.
THE AMERICAN ANTI- SLAVERY SOCIETY (1833–1870)
The American Anti-slavery Society was founded by William Lloyd Garrison and his followers in 1833. Garrison not only believed in equality for African Americans but also for equality of women.
• Garrison and the American Anti- slavery Society were writing pamphlets. They also sent petitions to congress asking them to end government support of slavery.
• One of the main goals of the American Anti- slavery Society was to spread anti- slavery written works throughout the north and Midwest.
They even published an anti-slavery newspaper called “The Liberator.”
The American Anti-slavery Society not only played a huge roll in the emancipation of slaves but gaining rights for them to.
WILLIAM LLOYD GARRISONDECEMBER 13,1805 - MAY 24,1879
When William was 25 he joined the Abolition movement, and for a short time he becameinvolves in the American Colonization Society.
• This group believed that free blacks should immigrate to an area on the west coast of Africa. But then around 1829-1830 William rejected colonization, apologizing for his error.
THEN IN 1831, WILLIAM RETURNED TO NEW ENGLANDAND CREATED A WEEKLY ANTI-SLAVERY NEWSPAPER CALLED "THE LIBERATOR".
HE PUBLISHED WEEKLY ISSUES IN BOSTON FOR 35YEARS. HE HAD ABOUT 3,000 SUBSCRIBERS MOST OF WHOM WERE AFRICAN AMERICANS.
Garrison was facing fierce resistance for his beliefabout the slaves. Garrison believed that all slaves should be emancipated as quickly as possible.
• The legislature from South Carolina offered a reward of $1,500(about $25,000 today) to those who identified the distributors of the paper. The Liberator ran from January 1st 1831 to January 1st 1866.
YOU WILL NOW TAKE THE ASSESSMENT, CLICK THE PICTURE BELOW. LOG ON TO THE SITE AND TAKE THE EFFORTS OF ABOLITIONISTS ASSESSMENT.