www.journeytofreedom.org www.journeytofreedom.org Restore Ministries of the YMCA presents
www.journeytofreedom.org Scott Reall Author of Journey to Freedom and the Journey to Freedom book series Founder of Restore Ministries of the YMCA of Middle TN
Prochaska’s Five Stages of Change 1. Pre-Contemplation 2. Contemplation 3. Preparation 4. Action 5. Maintenance Why Journey to Freedom? Journey to Freedom focuses on the first three stages of change.
-Problem lies outside of themselves
-Don’t have to take responsibility, if my wife changed, if my boss changed, etc.
-They are aware that they need change in their life
-They never get around to taking action (they are stuck in this stage)
-They are always looking and contemplating change
Only 20% of people with problems are ready to commit to taking action, yet 90% of behavior change programs were created for that 20%. The other 80% are still in contemplation: Only thinking about changing. *statistics taken from the book Changing for Good , by Dr. James Prochaska
- Identify specific life controlling issues that they need to change
As participants journey through the workbook they learn how God helps them overcome obstacles that leads to permanent change
What is Journey to Freedom ?
An 8-week course that helps an individual identify specifically
what needs to change in their life
what is involved in the process of change
what their part in the process will be
how God uses others to help them
Works through small groups of no more than 8-10 people. Groups can be co-ed and can also be separated by gender.
Uses trained facilitators to lead groups and encourage participation.
Works through the stages of change and requires the participant to write their personal plan of action from a physical, spiritual and mental perspective.
Feelings Chart* Benefit Feeling Impairment *chart taken from the book The Voice of the Heart , by Chip Dodd Happiness or Entertainment Gladness Shows the fullness and richness of life Pride or Toxic Shame Guilt Allows us to seek forgiveness Toxic Shame, Self Rejection, Pride or Rage Shame Awakens us to humility Depression or Perfectionism Anger Helps us tell the truth, dares to hope and arouses desire Anxiety or Rage Fear Helps us practice and prepare Apathy Loneliness Allows us to ask for help and reach out for relationship Self-Pity Sadness Values and honors what is present or missed Resentment Hurt Names woundedness and begins healing
What happens in the 8-week Journey?
Session one—Introduction week
Discuss why we are here and what to expect
Session two—Beginning the Journey to Freedom
Discuss Contemplation and Hope
Session three—Hidden Prisons: Life Controlling Issues
Begin to have participants discuss a vision for their lives
Session Five—Hope Restored
Discuss training vs. trying
(optional: play Shawshank Video. Please inform class there is
a cuss word in this video that we do not endorse)
Session Six—Overcoming Obstacles
Discuss intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation and progress vs. perfection.
Session Seven—Finishing Strong
Discuss perseverance and set the stage for the Action Plan
Session Eight—Action Plan
Participants share action plan in the areas of spirit, mind and body
Participants are given next steps in their journey
Hear the stories…. (action plans)
Next Steps on the Journey ▼ The Journey to a Life of Significance: Freedom from Low Self-Esteem ▼ The Journey to a New Beginning after Loss: Freedom from the Pain of Grief and Disappointment ▼ The Journey to Healthy Living: Freedom from Body Image and Food Issues ▼ The Journey to Living with Courage: Freedom from Fear Visit www.journeytofreedom.org for more information