- Send out an all-company e-mail asking employees who may be engaging on behalf of the company in social media to make you aware of what they are doing and hold on their activity until a formal policy is created & sent around
It’s not enough to create the policy & e-mail it around and check the box- it needs to be rolled out to everyone.
Transcript of "5 things you should do before you dive into Social Media"
5Social Media Things to Keep off Your
Lindsay Lebresco – Social Media Manager, Lilly Pulitzer
And we should listen to you because…
• 5 years experience in corporate social
media strategy & execution
• Launched Newell Rubbermaid SM &
led management through change
including policy creation & roll out
• Background in crisis management &
SM in regulated industries
• I keep being invited back to speak.
Because I met
this guy once?
‘Cause my kids are
things and you can expect to avoid:
• Community backlash
• Brand damage
• Personnel issues
• Wasted resources
• Personal shame
1 2 3 4 5
• Goal: Build trust & positivity mentions of the
• Strategy: Humanize the brand and have a
“relationship with the public.”
• Plan: Create a parenting blog, participate in
community as parents first, then employees.
• Result: Positive online brand mentions rose
from 68% positive to 85%; Graco named as Top
10 Big Brands doing social media in 2009
• Goal: Grow consumer database of females
• Strategy: Engage & acquire consumer group
• Plan: Create a sorority contest where
consumers can vote for their sorority to win a
• Result: Acquired 115,000 fans in 2 weeks,
30% growth in 18-24 age bracket
No pressure, but
you do know they’ll
be watching, right?
Is this person relatable to my target audience?
Ask these questions:
Are they authentic & trustworthy?How about likable?
Are they passionate about your business?
Are they natural users of social media?
How well do they know your brand & products?
Are they committed to having a conversation?
Can they rally?
OH HELL YES! WHO CARES
Has been on Facebook since it was
only for college students
Has a bad ass smartphone
Knows what 2 words comprise the term
Follows Conan O'Brien on Twitter
Helped their uncle start a Facebook
page for his pest control company
They’re younger than you… and much
Can text 100 words a minute
Mulit-tasker & solid project
Seeks out new opportunities in social
& stays on top of what’s happening in
Experience in using social media
platforms personally; ideally has used
it for business
Team player and is comfortable
Has a background in communications
& has good writing skills
Strategic thinker but tactical executer
Identify their responsibilities:
report by Jeremiah Owyang of Altimeter Group. Infographic by Voltier Creative
Roll it out…
Great policy resources:
Social Media Business Council
Social Media Governance