Presented by Linda Dougherty and Rhonda Dobbs, Northwest High School Library, to faculty on selecting informational text articles from database subscriptions according to differentiated reading
Presented by Linda Dougherty and Rhonda Dobbs, Northwest High School Library, to faculty on selecting informational text articles from database subscriptions according to differentiated reading levels.
3. Informational TextStudents must be able to read complexinformational texts in these fields withindependence and confidence becausethe vast majority of reading in college andworkforce training programs will besophisticated nonfiction."English Language Arts Standards -Anchor Standards -College and CareerReadiness Anchor Standards for Reading." Common Core State StandardsInitiative. Web. 12 Aug. 2012.
4. Informational Text • Lexile Reading Levels • Differentiated • Content based • Informational • Nonfiction • Current Topics
5. This classic resource is ready for the 21st century classroom!Middle School High SchoolReading Level Reading Level
6. Why Use World Book?• Lexile levels noted on most articles• Great way to “front load” information for units in any curriculum area• Embedded video and audio clips• Primary sources• Vocabulary help and quizzes• Quick video tutorials for teachers
7. NewsbankMissouri resources include• The Kansas City Star and• St. Louis Post-Dispatch.Main index includes links to• NewsBank Special Reports,• Hot Topics and Special Collections• America’s News MagazinesHINT: Use Advanced Search to limit byLexile levels!
8. Teen Health and WellnessNEW• Health and P.E. • Educator Resources• F.A.C.S. provides lesson plans, site• Guidance tutorials, mobile apps• Psychology and more• Life Skills • Content updated• Science regularly
9. Ebscohost DatabasesLog into EBSCOhost on your library’s computer and choose a database with Lexiles, such as• Primary Search,• Middle Search Plus or• MAS Ultra.On the Basic Search screen, check Full Text, then type in a magazine name in the Publication field. Click Search. EBSCOhost will bring up all of the articles from that magazine. Each article will have a different Lexile measure.
10. Cengage DatabasesMultimedia Resources EDU
11. Destiny Quest & Ebooks
12. Destiny Quest & Ebooks
13. • Search Literacy lessons and A Google A Day classroom challenges.• Our search literacy lessons help you meet the new Common Core State Standards and are broken down based on level of expertise in search: Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced.
14. Practice Time!Available online on the Library webpage:• Online Databases• Destiny Quest Catalog• Professional E-books• Copies of Faculty Password lists will be in your email box.• Drawings for Google & Discovery Ed goodies.