• Connect Common Core
Standards with local, state, and
• Connect standards with
information literacy skills.
• Study the CCSS literally!
• Connect AASL Cross Walk of the Common
• Use the College & Career Readiness Anchor
Standards as a beginning point.
5. Connect Informational Text
Students must be able to read complex
informational texts in these fields with
independence and confidence because the
vast majority of reading in college and
workforce training programs will be
"English Language Arts Standards -Anchor Standards -College and Career Readiness Anchor
Standards for Reading." Common Core State Standards Initiative. Web. 12 Aug. 2012.
6. School Library Monthly January 2013 issue
7. Connect from Mark It Up…..
• Study where the library fits into the CCSS,
• Highlight, mark-up, and explain directly on the
document what standards can be taught in
connection with the school library
• Pass the marked-up standards along to the
subject area teachers!
• When teachers consult the standards, they’ll
know when to come knocking on the school
8. Matrix for School Librarians
9. Curating & Communicating
10. Destiny Quest
• Search by Lexile levels
• Search for ebooks by content and Lexile level –
especially books that have simultaneous
• Make Resource Lists
11. Destiny Quest Searches
12. Destiny Quest Ebook Search
13. Warning! Text Ahead!
14. MOREnet Resources
Log into EBSCOhost on your library’s computer and
choose a database with Lexiles, such as
• Primary Search,
• Middle Search Plus or
• MAS Ultra.
On the Basic Search screen, check Full Text, then
type in a magazine name in the Publication field.
Click Search. EBSCOhost will bring up all of the
articles from that magazine. Each article will have
a different Lexile measure.
15. Ebschost Advanced Search
16. Ebscohost Search by Source
1. Advanced Search
2. Change Search Field to SO Source
3. Key in Magazine Title
17. Ebscohost Search by
Limit Search by
• Source Types
• Full Text
21. More Ebscohost Titles
22. Ebscohost Search by Source
23. Teacher Guide Excerpt
24. High School
25. World Book Encyclopedia
• Lexile levels noted on most articles
• Great way to “front load” information for
units in any curriculum area
• Embedded video and audio clips
• Primary sources
• Vocabulary help and quizzes
• Quick video tutorials for teachers
LiveBinder Introduction Video
30. Carolyn Jo Starkey’s Common
31. Click this Dropbox link to sign up!
• Click over lesson plans on Pinterest
34. ISAIL Example
35. Collaborating – Information Fluency
36. Teaching With
Texts and the
A Protocol for
37. Teaching With
Texts and the
A Protocol for
38. School Librarians Supporting Common Core
39. Works Cited
Jaeger, Paige. "8 Reasons to Read in the Common Core." Web log post.
Librarydoor. N.p., 08 Apr. 2013. Web. 13 Apr. 2013.
Jaeger, Paige. "A Match Well Made: The Standards' Emphasis on Information
Aligns with Librarians' Skills | On Common Core." School Library Journal. N.p., 01
Nov. 2012. Web. 13 Apr. 2013. <http://www.slj.com/2012/11/opinion/on-common-
Moreillon, Judy. "School Library Monthly - A Matrix for School Librarians:
Aligning Standards, Inquiry, Reading, and Instruction." School Library Monthly - A
Matrix for School Librarians: Aligning Standards, Inquiry, Reading, and Instruction.
N.p., Jan. 2013. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
Morris, Rebecca. "School Library Monthly Blog: Mark It Up, Pass It Along, & See
Who Comes Knocking." School Library Monthly Blog. N.p., 6 Feb. 2013. Web. 13
Feb. 2013. <http://blog.schoollibrarymedia.com/index.php/2013/02/06/mark-it-