View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
How do you know who you are?
• The self that you know is only part of yourself
• Biology/ psychology/ philosophy/ theology all agree: you are more than you
think and you are exactly what you think
• What changes if you get to know more of yourself?
Who is in charge?
• have you ever surprised
• have you ever done something
that wasn’t like you?
• how did that happen?
Like a tree
• you can’t see the roots but you
know they’re there
• you can’t see the seeds but you
know they’re there
• the tree is more than what you
• you are more than what you
know you know
You are one
• one mind that thinks through the brain and the body
• one system of sensory perceptions transformed into meaning
• one seamless blend of past, present and future
Use your senses to pull into the focus you want
Pay attention to everything you are noticing now.
Notice what you see, what you hear, what you feel.
When we pay full attention, all our parts come
together. We are aware of being one self.
But most of the time
• We are all monkey brains
• Conscious attention has evolved
to notice threats
• Conscious attention bounces
around scanning for difference
• Difference reminds us that we have
Settling the mind into just one thing requires that
the body settle. Settling the body settles the mind.
• Begin at the edges and consciously relax, from top to toe or from toe to the
top of your head
• Imagine light and warmth around each part of your body as you tell your
muscles to unwind and relax and soften
• Notice that even very tiny muscles, like the ones around your eyes, can be
told to relax
Why alter your state?
Do you want to relax and
recharge? relieve pain? solve a
problem? change a behavior?
explore your unconscious mind?
retrieve a memory? accelerate
learning? take a mental vacation?
What do you want to know?
• Decide (with your hypnotist) on the reason for your trance
• Decide (with your hypnotist) how long the trance will last
• Decide (with your hypnotist) what you want to learn or suggest
• Decide how you will know you got what you wanted
As you relax into trance, your mind focuses on just one thing
how far down into the trance you
Deeply aware, deeply relaxed, deeply in trance
My voice will go with you
• To guide the process so you can focus on the experience
• To provide metaphors through which you might ﬁnd new resources, new
healing, or new patterns for solving problems
• To offer direct suggestions at a level where they can easily and naturally
change your thoughts and behaviours
• To ensure that your state of intense focus remains safe and positive
And in a few moments you will return to the room, relaxed and
You may feel
• as though no time has passed
(because you stopped the
world so you could focus)
• as though you were wide
awake (you were)
• as though nothing has
happened (but it did)
What’s different when you come back from the trance?
When you’re all the way back
• You might remember suggestions when they are useful
• You might follow suggestions at appropriate times without remembering
• You might feel strangely relaxed and clear-headed
• You will be able to ﬁnd your way back into trance when you want to go there
Which you is in charge of your trance?
• Choose a hypnotist wisely
• Learn self-hypnosis and set safe limits
• You work best when conscious and unconscious processes collaborate
• Safe journey, safe home