Discussion Board Guidelines
and Grading Expectations
Discussion Board Expectations -
1. All entries are to be respectful and PG-13 rated. Entries are not to include
profanity of any kind and always demonstrate respect towards others and respect
for individual differences and opinions.
2. While this is a place to express your opinion, remember this is a sociology course
and not a coffee chat group. All entries must be relevant to the assigned topic and
demonstrate knowledge and understanding of sociological concepts.
3. Students who submit disrespectful, profane or intimidating Db entries will receive
an F for the course or be removed from the course.
4. I will read each and every entry. However, I will not respond to each entry.
Discussion Board Grading –
1. For each Db assignment students must submit an original entry AND respond to
the entries of two classmates. Partial credit for incomplete entries will not be
given. If an original entry AND two responses are not submitted, the student
will receive a “0” for the assignment.
2. Entries must show evidence of sociological thinking and sociological imagination.
3. Response entries must demonstrate the same depth of understanding, sociological
thinking and sociological imagination as your original entry.
4. Please do not disclose any information you would feel uncomfortable disclosing
in a face-to-face setting or would make the average person embarrassed or feel
5. All entries must have correct spelling and be grammatically correct. Do not
submit anything that has not been checked in Spell/Grammar Check.
6. Entries are not to exceed 250 words each.
7. As with any other assignment, late entries are not accepted. The week’s assigned
Db will close 11:59 PM on Thursday of each week.
8. Be sure to make your original entry early in the week so that your classmates have
something to which they can respond.