LCE13: Real-Time and Foundational Features for Networking Space
LNG Foundational Review
LCE13 - Dublin, July 2013
● General - make connections
○ Kim connected with Virtualization
○ Gary conceded with Platform
○ Guoqing connected to LNG testing
○ Generally discussions were much more productive in
this our second face to face.
○ Still have folks who need a core task
● Educate folks on our activities
○ A robust debate questioning the need to run the
dataplane in userspace occurred. The meeting
minutes note the strong use cases for requiring the
RT patch set.
● General : Get new use cases
○ Two uses cases were provided related to the
session, one supporting RT the other for a slow path
back to the kernel from the dataplane.
● Resolve LNG Kernel tree
○ We now have a clear map for the branches and
merging operations that are required to create the
two LNG Trees moving forward. And how to support
the out of step update nature of the RT variant.
○ 3.8 Tree had the final clean up
● Understand the work needed to be feature
complete for LNG KVM - look at the future
○ Very short term need for virtio-networking
○ long term higher performing IO from the guest to
○ Test KVM
● Understand the LAVA multinode
○ Multi Node will not be ready in the needed time
○ Mitigation will be static IPs and hard wired test cases
to utilize the X86 traffic generators that are on order.
○ Considered a great fit
○ Needs to be enabled in LNG 3.10 kernel
○ Need to apply patch to remove the 1 second tick
○ Apply rumored 3.10 RT patch
● Significant need to get more test cases built into the
rootfs and running in LAVA and utilize new analysis
● Need improved LAVA support, possibly need LNG
member in LAVA.
○ Identified new test cases to be added
○ Updated wiki with instructions on building LNG